• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Questions For Jim Jannard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, just wanted to come in here and clear a few things up.

For those questioning whether this is the real JJ, he's been over at O-Review for many years and was confirmed real by many of the original Factory Pilot members.

Please do NOT ask for JJ to post pictures of himself or his collection. If he does do so it will be by his freewill only. Jim is a millionaire (maybe billionaire?) and if you think he's going to post a picture just to please a few people on an internet forum than you've got another thing coming.

This is a rare and possibly once in a lifetime opportunity to talk to the creator, the man who started the company that we all love and talk about on a daily basis. I will NOT allow you guys to ruin the chance for everyone else just because some of you might be skeptical.

I hope you decide to stay and bring knowledge to the community. You started a company so great and much bigger than yourself and I'm glad you're taking what little free time you have to sit down and answer our questions. Thanks a lot Jim!

Hello Jim,

It's great to have you here and thank you for letting us have the opportunity to talk to you directly and hear it all from the horses mouth as it were.

I am a big Frogskins fan, and the stories I heard was that, when these were being designed, you hated the idea of them and that it went against everything Oakley stood for. You even placed a bet they would fail. Is this true? What is the real story behind the creation of the Frogskins? A frame which has probably outsold every other model Oakley produced over the years?

Thanks,
I think this is a very interesting question. Sort of like how Van Morrison always hated "Brown Eyed Girl" but it became his most famous song :p
I'd like to see this one answered

Alright guys, just wanted to come in here and clear a few things up.

For those questioning whether this is the real JJ, he's been over at O-Review for many years and was confirmed real by many of the original Factory Pilot members.

Please do NOT ask for JJ to post pictures of himself or his collection. If he does do so it will be by his freewill only. Jim is a millionaire (maybe billionaire?) and if you think he's going to post a picture just to please a few people on an internet forum than you've got another thing coming.

This is a rare and possibly once in a lifetime opportunity to talk to the creator, the man who started the company that we all love and talk about on a daily basis. I will NOT allow you guys to ruin the chance for everyone else just because some of you might be skeptical.

I hope you decide to stay and bring knowledge to the community. You started a company so great and much bigger than yourself and I'm glad you're taking what little free time you have to sit down and answer our questions. Thanks a lot Jim!

Nuff said.

I never placed a bet that they would fail. Why would I release a product and then bet against it? I have no idea where these stories get started...

So... here is the straight scoop.

Everything Oakley, up to that point, was designed in house and made in the USA. We had released the Eyeshade, were designing the Blades... both were shields for performance applications. We had built up some brand momentum and wanted to quickly get a "more normal" model out the door.

I flew to Japan and visited a manufacturer there and very quickly crafted the Frogskin. I knew it would sell. I just didn't think it was the kind of effort that would make us proud. It felt a bit like I sold out and when I was flying home, I felt a bit embarrassed. I asked myself if I wasn't just doing this "for the frog skins" (the bucks, greenbacks, dead presidents). I decided three things right then.

#1. Sell them and call them Frogskins to always remind me to only do brave an interesting things going forward.
#2. Get started on an intensive program to develop the very best optics in the industry and add more inventions and art to the next gen products.
#3. Build a factory and make our sunglasses in house.

I think the above list was checked off pretty well over the years.

Frogskins are great. They helped fund our future. Jupiter was my frog. I took the pic of Jupiter that is still floating around. But it was certainly not my best personal effort.

The next model we designed and released (after Blades and Razor Blades) was the M Frame. That glass has more innovation and inventions than any glass in the history of eyewear (at least I'd be happy to argue the point).

BTW... our next twin lens O-Matter sunglass was the Eye Jacket. It, too, was a commercial success and a model I am still very proud of. It was sculptural, had a full ellipse lens shape (matched our new O-icon logo), had XYZ Optics, ear socks and a ton of other features. It was our 1st in house project that used 3D cad all the way through the process. (Hard to believe everyone built hand models of stuff before CAD).

Jim

Here's a good one

Xmetal serials. Did they start at one? There are some super high numbers out there on some pairs. Also, did the first few go to employees/you? Like is there a Juliet serial J000001 floating around in public somewhere.

Also, why stop serials? And what was the deal with the so called "Jordan" Romeo and its being only 4 digits?

Wow Jim...love the insight bud. Huge fan since the 80s as a kid.
My wife and I love all thinks Oakley, however I have to say I have an un-natural addiction to the X-Metal line.

Reading this thread, I gotta say the most reinforcing awesome line is "We ignored the warnings."

I'm a rock industry and activation photographer in Houston/LA/NYC and LOVE what you've done with Red. I currently film with Nikon pro bodies but the more video work I've been getting, the more I have the 'X-Metal craving' for a Red. I might need your help by sending my wife an email, telling her that I definietly need a Red.

Bravo with everything!

Tre'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back