1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Fresh

Fresh Oakley Enthusiast

Finally decided to install these on my Carbon Juliet (got them on a deal with a plasma juliet), they look awesome. But I'm not entierly sure which gen are they. I'm sure they ain't Frubys, I think they're 2nd gen (more redder yellow, less purple), what do you guys think?
    Thanks

Ps. Please tell me I'm wrong and they are 1st gen

Ruby Lenses Gen? - image.jpg

Ruby Lenses Gen? - IMG_2671.JPG

Ruby Lenses Gen? - IMG_2672.JPG

Ruby Lenses Gen? - IMG_2673.JPG

Ruby Lenses Gen? - IMG_2674.JPG

Ruby Lenses Gen? - IMG_2675.JPG

Last edited: 9/20/16
    cyclerdoug likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Oakley G

Oakley G Oakley Enthusiast

TBH it can be called first or second gen depending how you want to see it. First, second or higher generations when it comes to Ruby Iridium is an entirely made up term by a scalper from back in the day that newer collectors just ended up adopting since they didn't know better. Since it's all made up, everyone has different ideas of what it means. Your idea of it is about as valid as anyone else's since it doesn't officially exist.

thisguy and SiRacer420 like this.
  3. Fresh

Fresh Oakley Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer, I just enated to see if they would be worthy of an XM frame. I see purple to the middle of the lense, but since I've never seen in person the real XM juliets, I just wanted to see if they are close to the originals

4. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Don't forget that X-Metal frames aren't as dark as Carbon, so what you are seeing is an exaggerated contrast: what do they look like in an X-Metal frame?

5. Fresh

Fresh Oakley Enthusiast

Sadly I don't have and XMetal frame yet (working on it). I know the carbon might be too much, but its either that, a polished, or a 1st gen plasma, I guess carbon fits better than the others

Last edited: 9/20/16
  6. Fresh

Fresh Oakley Enthusiast

Found this pic in the forum comparing gens, I guess it does look a bit like the top one

Ruby Lenses Gen? - IMG_2676.JPG

Maning, gbear and supersharp like this.
  7. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Only difference being, that ones has more light let in, hence more like the true colour as opposed to 'hiding' in the shadows.......

8. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

You've a decent amount of purple in those so i'd say they were on the earlier side of production. 'First gens' as stated above as the adopted term, varied considerably from batch to batch so I wouldn't be overly concerned with the actual generation. They're a good lens with a nice amount of colour in them.

Fresh likes this.
  9. cyclerdoug

cyclerdoug Oakley Expert Premium Member

In any case regardless of "Gen" they are gorgeous!!!

:shock:

discostu and Fresh like this.
  10. dingo ate my baby

dingo ate my baby I should Work at Oakley

Honestly just really depends on the batch of rubies made somtimes. Some newer ones are deeper then the older ones. Ruby is a very hard color for them to reproduce time and time again excactly the same.

discostu, thisguy and Fresh like this.