• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Second customs with a sour end

atomikaso

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

As told in my previous customs post, next victim was established as a beater Valve 1.0 Ducati pair.

The plan was to paint it white with the small parts of the stems in silver and pink icons.

This time, I used lighter layers of paint to avoid the dripping problem I had with the previous customization attempt. But as an impatient person I tried to assemble every part before the silver parts were completely dry, and that caused serious peeling of, looking like it is in a paint removal solution, anyways the effect is kinda cool, but it's kinda dissapointing to fail in such a silly and easy thing like waiting.

The second problem was lenses installation, which dented the paint job which was way better than previous attempts. Also one of the attachment pins of the stems worn out a bit, but it stills attach.

Here are the pics of this disaster, which looks I did actually like, but I was behind a less rustic finish, but it is what it is hehe.

At last, I would appreciate if anyone can recommend me an effective paint removal that doesn't ruins o matter to try again in the future, and if there are anything to do with the worn out attachment pin.

With no more to say, thanks for spending time reading my custom painting misadventures and have a nice day!

IMG_20231213_100425.jpg

IMG_20231213_100430.jpg

IMG_20231213_100436_1.jpg

IMG_20231213_100439_1.jpg

IMG_20231213_100444.jpg

IMG_20231213_100450.jpg

I know that pain all too well myself. Patience is a key factor. Practice makes perfect. I'm trying as well. I think I'm a little better than when I did this one.
:cool:🤙

View attachment 1103915
Well, I bought some non-acetone nail polish remover to paint them again, this time I'll wait ages before assembling. By the way, any pro tip for installing lenses without ruining all the finish? Thanks in advance mate🤝

Well, I bought some non-acetone nail polish remover to paint them again, this time I'll wait ages before assembling. By the way, any pro tip for installing lenses without ruining all the finish? Thanks in advance mate🤝
I have a jar filled with paint thinner and I leave my glasses in it for about a half hour. Then light sand off any remaining paint. I'm taking things down to the bare frame. Then I'm learning how to use as little paint as possible. My first painting attempts came out too thick and was a reason the lenses couldn't go in easier. After painting is where you mentioned patience. And yes you should wait a 'few' days before attempting lens installation. Then someone mentioned using like dish soap to help the lenses slide in better. I just know that if you paint it good, the lenses should go in about as easy as a regular pair. So far I've repainted a couple pairs several times over because of my impatience. Just keep practicing and you'll get better. And good luck with your projects. :cool:🤙

IMG_0905.JPG

I'm looking for close to perfection. So this is a color I painted many times on a few frames. And I'm using clear as well.

Last edited:
H
I have a jar filled with paint thinner and I leave my glasses in it for about a half hour. Then light sand off any remaining paint. I'm taking things down to the bare frame. Then I'm learning how to use as little paint as possible. My first painting attempts came out too thick and was a reason the lenses couldn't go in easier. After painting is where you mentioned patience. And yes you should wait a 'few' days before attempting lens installation. Then someone mentioned using like dish soap to help the lenses slide in better. I just know that if you paint it good, the lenses should go in about as easy as a regular pair. So far I've repainted a couple pairs several times over because of my impatience. Just keep practicing and you'll get better. And good luck with your projects. :cool:🤙

View attachment 1103996
Huge thanks mate, looking forward to approach the second attempt. Gonna try to keep the layers as thin as possible and to be careful with the attachment pins which are a bit worn, so masking them could be nice to avoid more damage. Soon I'll update this post. Have a nice day.

H

Huge thanks mate, looking forward to approach the second attempt. Gonna try to keep the layers as thin as possible and to be careful with the attachment pins which are a bit worn, so masking them could be nice to avoid more damage. Soon I'll update this post. Have a nice day.
PD: Your creations are outstanding, hope one day I'll get to that level!

Back