1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

When I picked up a 3.0 single wide it made me notice just how underlit the old school towers are- in my case a couple of core towers.
    I was thinking about selling them to get another 3.0, but the cores are awful damn sweet and I figured that I would try to improve on the existing lighting situation.
    My cores have a single halogen light in the top and I think that a big part of the reason that the 3.0 lights up so well is the light source in the bottom- in addition to the 4 MR-16's in the top.
    Wandering around Costco I noticed some 18' rope lights ($23.00) and figured that I would give that a whirl.
    I used a versa bit to put 2 holes in the top of the core display- one in the front left top corner of the display and another directly behind that towards the rear. Then I notched the shelves in the front corners to secure and provide space for the rope light.
    I ran the rope down the backside of the left front support to the bottom shelf, around the edge of the bottom shelf and up the back of the right support. Where the rope faced directly forward I blacked it out so that it wasn't directly in the eyes.
    I'm not totally done and totally happy yet but the improvement is what I was looking for- to increase the amount of light, the color temperature of the light and get some light all the way to the bottom shelf.

Whaddya think?

Single Tower Light Upgrade - 8230168343_2b6e210e2f.jpg

Single Tower Light Upgrade - 8231230250_37a8615871.jpg

Single Tower Light Upgrade - 8230168049_611ccc5aa7.jpg

You can see the rope lights' reflection in the back glass but they are all in the front and around the sides.
    J.P. and Nortika like this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. doowutchyalike

doowutchyalike Oakley Enthusiast

Looks freakin sweet man, good idea!
  3. Oakster

Oakster Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

That's great. For many of us on here, we display boxes, cards, cases, etc and those gobble up all the light that comes from the top.
  4. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege Premium Member

Looks about 1000% better. :thumb:
  5. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

Looks great, nice upgrade. Keep those cores, I wish I would have come across one before I picked up the 3.0.
  6. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Staff Member Premium Member Lifetime Member

Dont know if anyone knew this, but the original lights that are used on the top of the older style cases are "miners" lights for underground mining, and they are freaking heavy!!!!
  7. Gecko

Gecko Oakley Collector Premium Member

You mean these right?
    Single Tower Light Upgrade - ta5areqy.jpg

Your lighting job is very good looking. Great job.
  8. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

Those lights are what I thought XMM was talking about- like the ones that have been on ebay for a while.
    I would think that even with those Klieg lights in a tower you still may not get much light to the bottom.
    Or if they could throw a decent amount to the bottom, that at the top it would probably be hot enough and bright enough to be a bad enviroment for rubbers and flex couplers.
  9. KillerCollector

KillerCollector Oakley Expert Premium Member

So I've seen 3.0 single wides with both tube and LED. When did Oakley change over? Or did they? I doubt anyone is cutting custom round LED holes in the top. Or are they?
  10. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

3.0 and then 3.1

3.0 has the 4 holes in the top
    3.1 has the white plexi in the top