1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. imranbecks

imranbecks Oakley Enthusiast

So I was looking at that rectangular Tactical Field Gear patch on my backpack. Do they mean anything? I see the stock number, the lot number etc on the patch, very nicely detailed, but what does it all mean? Its exactly the same on my other backpack and I'm pretty sure its the same numbers as well on the patch of the Kitchen Sink and on the other Oakley backpacks that have this patch.

Tactical Field Gear Patch.. Do They Mean Anything? - 12690660765_14fff3cfe9_c.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Looks like they are mostly the same. After closer inspection there appears no real significant difference. I thought maybe a letter or number was different. More of an embroidery imperfection...

Tactical Field Gear Patch.. Do They Mean Anything? - hape7egu.jpg

3. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

It means you bought Oakley stuff ?

4. imranbecks

But not all Oakley stuff have it. Only certain items that is under their SI line have these I believe. But all of them are the same, same numbers etc...

5. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

Marketing

Makes it look 'cool' ... All tacticool and all...

I wouldn't look for a much deeper meaning than that

6. hatchet

hatchet Oakley Beginner

it does make it look cool!!!!

imranbecks likes this.
  7. It comes on every cleaning kit too....

8. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

It's made to mimic the required tagging for NSN and approved gear.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/JoeLuna33/IMG_20121129_170340_675.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Fo23RHW8vnA/StHKveYBAII/AAAAAAAAAG0/PwClqZjMqTw/s400/admin 0d2f0793.jpg
    http://olive-drab.com/images/nsn_label_400.jpg

Specifications for accessories require them stitched on all sides, a few different numbers called out, the official description of the article, etc etc.

Starting before WWII I believe items were required to be tagged like this. Back then it was ink stenciled onto the canvas, either on the back or the inside of the flap. Now it's a sewn tag.

imranbecks likes this.
  9. imranbecks

Useful information right there. I never knew that. So Oakley's NSN tag is basically there just for show and added detail since the NSN are all the same on the Oakley products. The numbers probably don't mean anything. The only detail on the tag that is recognizable and real is the address of Oakley's hq at Foothill Ranch, CA.