• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Weight of the X-metals

Very nice little experiment. Interesting results. Also that the Romeo 1 with the small nose bombs is also (not unsurprisingly) the heaviest.

The one thing I like about X-Metals is the nose rubbers like those in the Juliet, it makes them very comfortable to wear even though the frames are heavier than plastic.

Last edited:
Cool, so the R2 is just over an ounce then! This was awesome, thank you for taking the time to do this! A little surprised the Penny is the 3rd heaviest frame but I guess it is fairly sturdy..

Right at about 1 1/4 ounces for the R2. Not bad at all.

I could see Penny coming in 3rd. There's a lot of material on the bottom part of the orbital.

@ OP thanks for doing this. Great reference material. I wonder how much weight is added due to the rubber.

i am surprised that massive nosebridge on the r1 only cost it a 1 gram diff from the xx..
That one surprised me too, I thought it would be the heaviest by more. So, I decided to go a little further. That R1 is a earlier square stemmed one, so I tried a later round stemmed. It is 43g...
image.jpeg

So, I tried an early bone Titanium R1 and it is 48g. All have custom cut lenses and Linegear rubber.
image.jpeg

Then I tried a X-metal XX, this one has a serial and custom cuts the 24k doesn'thave either. It is 43g.
image.jpeg

I did a bunch of Juliets with OEM parts that were all the same except a 4th gen Plasma with Ice that was 41g.
image.jpeg

My other Half-X is 38g as well.
image.jpeg

So, it appears the earlier generations had a lot more variation. Which really isn't much of a surprise. Later stuff Probably won't show as much. Customization will also affect the end weight.

Older X-metal finished frames have a more square finish on the stems near the hinge.

Man, that is a really slight difference. I had to really look at at to see it. Thanks for posting those comparison pics. You learn something new everyday here.

Man, that is a really slight difference. I had to really look at at to see it. Thanks for posting those comparison pics. You learn something new everyday here.

This has been discussed previously on the forum, but to sum it up, square stems are Jordan casts. All R1 Jordans have square stems.

Back