1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. JacketFan

JacketFan Oakley Beginner

Minute, Straight Jacket, Eye Jacket, Big Taco, Gascan, Radar etc.. I've always wondered.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Mizztyler91

Mizztyler91 Oakley Beginner

pull a slip of paper out of a hat? lol idk

3. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Crankcase, gearbox, fuel cell, oil drum, holeshot.

Those are related to cars and racing.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else too well right now soooooo lets think about this for a MINUTE, hey! That's a good name......"minute"! What do you think big taco? There's another one!

:smile:

4. mercbezerk

mercbezerk Unicorn Chaser Premium Member Lifetime Member

Like being in the Google think tank, it'll be what they have at hand on the day... Big Taco's for lunch, listening to some Garage Rock while some woman in the corner shares her weekend's Antix on a film she watched that featured Romeo & Juliet. Off in the distance a sketch artist looking out the window noticed a guy working on his engine decanting his Gascan into an Oil Drum and thought it was a bit Over the Top that he used a Bottle Cap to scoop out the contents...

I have no idea, but it would be interesting to find out for sure how they come up with the names.

5. Peeza21

Peeza21 African in the United Kingdom

You might be onto something there for sure!

6. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

A lot of the names Oakley has come from a certain "series" of names. Square O was kicked off with the Gascan, and the Fuel Cell is a type of gas tank, Canteen holds water, as Frank said several other racing-inspired names.

The 90's pairs saw a lot of jacket themes. Eye Jacket, Straight Jacket, Trenchcoat, Topcoat, Half Jacket.

There's the number series, Four, Five, Ten, Twenty. And strangely the sizing for them is Four<Five<Twenty<Ten

Several wires follow a prison scheme from being aviator styled; Inmate, Felon, Warden, Plaintiff, Dispatch (O-matter), etc.

Then for some reason Oakley breaks the chain. Hijinx and Antix are synonyms, but you go from Gascan to Fuel Cell to Batwolf? WTF?

And, of course, the two first metals were Romeo & Juliet. No idea where Penny came into the mix, or why they crossed XX from O-matter into metals (or vice versa).

There have been several gun-related names, tennis, marathon, etc.

You've got me as to where a lot of other names come from though.

7. GRFMotorsports

GRFMotorsports is an Oakley whore Premium Member

So the ten is bigger than the XX? I had no idea, never picked up a pair.

8. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

The current Ten is a LOT bigger. The original Tens is very much a bigger Five, very similar stems with the dimples, just larger orbitals.

I wear the Ten, XX was too small for me. Tens would work, but the older inflexible frame doesn't jive with my skull.

The current Twenty I thought was even smaller than the XX, more like a Five with rubber.

9. GRFMotorsports

GRFMotorsports is an Oakley whore Premium Member

Thanks, I'll check them out next time I can.

10. faxmanjazz

faxmanjazz Oakley Enthusiast

Big taco is supposedly the nickname of the guy that designed them.