• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's On Your Plate???

On Saturday we tried a new place, Shabu Hot Pot and Noodle Bar on Anderson Lane next to Cover 3 and the Alamo Draft House.

If you don't know what Hot Pot is, it's like a broth-based fondue, Chinese style. I've had it in Hong Kong and we've done it at home a number of times but it's pretty rare to find a Hot Pot restaurant around here. The biggest difference between this place and traditional is that each person got their own pot; normally everybody shares one big one.

Started with some appetizers. This is the jellyfish salad:
20140531_205321.jpg

Then a giant soft shell crab:
20140531_205904.jpg

Finally, the Hot Pot. We had beef ribeye, snapper, cuttlefish balls, tripe, enoki mushrooms, and knife-shaved noodles. It was one of the better Hot Pots I've had.

20140531_211229.jpg

20140531_212440.jpg

Sunday we went for some dim sum for lunch.

Shrimp siu mai and pork siu mai:
20140601_122655.jpg

Shrimp and scallop siu mai, tripe, beef stomach, and some other kind of steamed dumpling who's name escapes me:
20140601_123207.jpg

Squid, pork spareribs, and meatball:
20140601_125040.jpg

Sunday we went for some dim sum for lunch.

Shrimp siu mai and pork siu mai:
View attachment 86566
Shrimp and scallop siu mai, tripe, beef stomach, and some other kind of steamed dumpling who's name escapes me:
View attachment 86567

Squid, pork spareribs, and meatball:
View attachment 86568

you never fail to awaken my taste buds bro! now i have to find dimsum tomorrow! and good news for me... i can eat all the pork dishes i want in 11 days!!!

Yay!!! Washi gets some pork! I'll be waiting for a bunch of pics...

i craving for my home country's LITSON/LECHON! going home for a business trip so ill surely eat pork pork pork and i dont care about cholesterol! lol... if youre wondering what litson/lechon is..

lechon_zpsa3aef2c6.jpg

lechon-baboy_zps6604639d.jpg

lechon-asado_zps5ef1a4fe.jpg

when i get home ill surely take some pics!

Attachments

• lechon-asado_zps5ef1a4fe.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 248
  • lechon-baboy_zps6604639d.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 358
  • lechon_zpsa3aef2c6.jpg
    lechon_zpsa3aef2c6.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 206
i craving for my home country's LITSON/LECHON! going home for a business trip so ill surely eat pork pork pork and i dont care about cholesterol! lol... if youre wondering what litson/lechon is..

lechon_zpsa3aef2c6.jpg

when i get home ill surely take some pics!

I've never heard of it by that name but it looks like the crispy skin pork I fell in love with in Hong Kong; there's a place over here that does it but nowhere near as good.

So now you're awaking my tastebuds...

Attachments

• lechon-asado_zps5ef1a4fe.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 394
  • lechon-baboy_zps6604639d.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,781
  • lechon_zpsa3aef2c6.jpg
    lechon_zpsa3aef2c6.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 329
WOW kronin you have some good EATS jellyfish salad hmmmmmm hows that taste would love to try that one 4sure.

The jellyfish itself is pretty tasteless; the flavor comes from the seasoning - rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and a little red chile for some heat (Hong Kong style).

What the jellyfish adds is the texture - it's unexpected. The strips can wiggle around like you're slinging a gummy worm, but when you bite through them, they have a kinda crisp crunch; I can't think of anything that compares exactly.

I first tried it a few years ago (with a little apprehension) and it was love at first bite.

BTW The Wife, being preggers, has been craving more of her home food lately, which is why I've been posting more Asian stuff. Cooking steamed pork spareribs in black bean sauce (like the dim sum) tonight.

I was going to post the spareribs in black bean sauce from the other night, but, though they were very tasty, they didn't look like much so I didn't take a pic.

And then I wasn't going to post this, it's pretty straightforward, but when they were done I thought they looked pretty nice so I did take a pic. Sauteed bone-in chicken thighs in a white wine cream sauce:
20140604_202440.jpg

Back