• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are/aren't some lenses polarized?

rustypixel

Oakley Beginner
This may have been brought up before but I'm curious as to what is the deciding factor for Oakley to make or not make a certain lens color in a polarized version. For example, I am looking closely at the Deviation with the ruby iridium lens. While the Deviation line is available as polarized, the polarized option isn't available for the ruby lenses. I, for one, would be happy to pay extra for the polarized ruby iridium.
Does anyone have any info or details to this?

Thanks.

I'm sure since flashier lens colors are more marketed to the younger crowd and lifestyle frames, polarized might not be a necessity. But it also might come down to how certain lenses (color options) are made.

Personally I don't wear polarized so it doesn't concern me but I know some people that won't wear certain lens colors because they aren't polarized.

Its all personal preference on the side of the developers when the frame is first designed. They occasionally add new colorways. In my opinion, polarized lenses are only worth the difference in price if you use them on water but thats just my point of view!

Its all personal preference on the side of the developers when the frame is first designed. They occasionally add new colorways. In my opinion, polarized lenses are only worth the difference in price if you use them on water but thats just my point of view!

Left work today and the sun and glare was obnoxious. Took off my BI shades and put on a set of BIP... better and took some of the edge off, but god I wish car makers didn't paint every f*cking car metallic gloss colors.

I agree that polarized lenses take the edge off of glare and since I happen to be looking at the Deviation for an upcoming trip to the Caymans, polarization would have been very welcome. Since there aren't that many Oakleys that work well with my face shape, I plan to get these regardless... but damn they would have been perfect if they were polarized!
Can anyone tell me if the lenses are easily replaced/swapped on this model? I like the fire iridium lenses but with the polished black frames that come with the ruby iridium. So I might buy the two color variations and swap the lenses.

Left work today and the sun and glare was obnoxious. Took off my BI shades and put on a set of BIP... better and took some of the edge off, but god I wish car makers didn't paint every f*cking car metallic gloss colors.

I would imagine the can just be swapped. If you really gotta have those lenses you can look at aftermarket options. I know that's taboo but if you gotta have it....

Just my 2 cents on why certain color ways don't come polarized... This was told to me by a long time Oakley rep. Basically there are high rejection rates for emerald, fire, and ruby iridium when they go through the iridium process. This is why back in the day there were 'premium' iridium lenses that retailed at $10 higher than 'regular' iridium. Add polarized to the mix and it gets far more expensive for Oakley due to the rejection rates.

As far as the cool factor with kids, that has really only been the last couple years largely since the arrival of Holbrook.

If I am way off on this please correct me if I am wrong.

Sadness for me cause I just sold my C-Wire (2011) with the polarized ruby iridium lenses cause they have always felt too small-ish for my face. I was abe to get the value of the Deviation (non-polarized) when selling the C-Wire so that's an even swap that I'm happy about.
As far as the "cool factor", I'm 42 going on 43 and as far as Oakley's go, it's only ruby, ice or fire iridium for me. Wait.. does that make ME cool?? :cool:
I've convinced myself that I look cool with them on... but to actually BE cool is a whole new level of wow!

Just my 2 cents on why certain color ways don't come polarized... This was told to me by a long time Oakley rep. Basically there are high rejection rates for emerald, fire, and ruby iridium when they go through the iridium process. This is why back in the day there were 'premium' iridium lenses that retailed at $10 higher than 'regular' iridium. Add polarized to the mix and it gets far more expensive for Oakley due to the rejection rates.

As far as the cool factor with kids, that has really only been the last couple years largely since the arrival of Holbrook.

If I am way off on this please correct me if I am wrong.

I agree that polarized lenses take the edge off of glare and since I happen to be looking at the Deviation for an upcoming trip to the Caymans, polarization would have been very welcome. Since there aren't that many Oakleys that work well with my face shape, I plan to get these regardless... but damn they would have been perfect if they were polarized!
Can anyone tell me if the lenses are easily replaced/swapped on this model? I like the fire iridium lenses but with the polished black frames that come with the ruby iridium. So I might buy the two color variations and swap the lenses.

When are you going to the Caymans? I'll be there Sunday

Back