• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are there no more X-metal reprints or similar models in the world?

basegilt

Oakley Beginner
I'm seriously curious. Why don't many sunglasses manufacturers around the world manufacture X-metal's reprint models or similar designs? Is a full titanium frame difficult to make? Or is it because manufacturing costs are too high? Or is it because they can't avoid Oakley's design patents? If X-metal style sunglasses are released somewhere, I want to buy that.

I'm seriously curious. Why don't many sunglasses manufacturers around the world manufacture X-metal's reprint models or similar designs? Is a full titanium frame difficult to make? Or is it because manufacturing costs are too high? Or is it because they can't avoid Oakley's design patents? If X-metal style sunglasses are released somewhere, I want to buy that.
Yes, because Sux own the Patents to them. They can and have released VERY
limited numbers, for stupid money. But that's just the way Sux, rolls........

Short answer: Money.

Longer answer: Casting Titanium is an expensive and slow process that requires a lot of post casting finishing to be done (grinding off mould lines, polishing, drilling/threading fittings etc). It was always less profitable compared to bent + soldered wire or injection moulded plastic frames. X-Metals went through something like 50 processes in production, it's a lot of man hours. There's also the issue of waste materials, X-metals were made in California so no dumping slag and waste solvents in the river behind the factory (this is a good thing, but also part of why Luxottica is steadily moving production to China, which is why I stopped selling Oakleys).

Regarding patents, most of the X-metal specific patents are now long expired. US patents last 20 years and they're all from 1996-2001. There's a few related to the X-squared that expire in 2030 but they're specific to the X-Squared's shape and design, like this one.

Nobody can go into business making X-metal replicas, copyright and trademark still applies. But there's no reason anyone else can't start making cast titanium frames that are all new designs. Except for the tens of millions it would cost to serve a niche market that might not pick them up anyway because they're 'not X-Metals'.

Short answer: Money.

Longer answer: Casting Titanium is an expensive and slow process that requires a lot of post casting finishing to be done (grinding off mould lines, polishing, drilling/threading fittings etc). It was always less profitable compared to bent + soldered wire or injection moulded plastic frames. X-Metals went through something like 50 processes in production, it's a lot of man hours. There's also the issue of waste materials, X-metals were made in California so no dumping slag and waste solvents in the river behind the factory (this is a good thing, but also part of why Luxottica is steadily moving production to China, which is why I stopped selling Oakleys).

Regarding patents, most of the X-metal specific patents are now long expired. US patents last 20 years and they're all from 1996-2001. There's a few related to the X-squared that expire in 2030 but they're specific to the X-Squared's shape and design, like this one.

Nobody can go into business making X-metal replicas, copyright and trademark still applies. But there's no reason anyone else can't start making cast titanium frames that are all new designs. Except for the tens of millions it would cost to serve a niche market that might not pick them up anyway because they're 'not X-Metals'.
Thank you for your explanation. Thanks!!!!!

Back