• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Do Hydrophobic Lenses Come With Hydrophobic Solution?

music_man185

Oakley Beginner
i noticed on the flak jacket page on oakley.com, they make mention that each pair of flak jackets come with a nanoclear hydrophobic pen. they also describe the lenses as being hydrophobic. i ordered a pair of livestrong straight jackets from oakley, which contain hydrophobic lenses. when they arrived, they also came with with a nanoclear pen. i thought that hydrophobic lenses were permanent, and didn't require anything to keep them hydrophobic. but why do they include the nanoclear pen with hydrophobic lenses? you would think that the non hydrophobic lenses should be the ones that come with the nanoclear pen to help them deflect water and debris.

Good question. I would venture a guess its just due to the fact that we're in that in between period where the Hydrophobic lenses have been discontinued but there is still stock being installed. Maybe others can add clarity because I've also heard from some people that the company is keeping the Hydrophobic lenses for the sport and active lines

i noticed on the flak jacket page on oakley.com, they make mention that each pair of flak jackets come with a nanoclear hydrophobic pen. they also describe the lenses as being hydrophobic. i ordered a pair of livestrong straight jackets from oakley, which contain hydrophobic lenses. when they arrived, they also came with with a nanoclear pen. i thought that hydrophobic lenses were permanent, and didn't require anything to keep them hydrophobic. but why do they include the nanoclear pen with hydrophobic lenses? you would think that the non hydrophobic lenses should be the ones that come with the nanoclear pen to help them deflect water and debris.

Ive heard two reasons for this, I dont know how true either of them are:
1) the Hydrophobic layer on the lens gradually wears away over time so they give you a nanoclear pen to reapply every couple of months
2) Applying the Hydrophobic layer at the factory slowed down production so they just include a kit so the customer can apply it themselves. (I personally think this reason seems highly unlikely)

Make with that what you will

Hydrophobic lenses no longer come pre-applied with the Hydrophobic solution so Oakley provides a sample pen with models that used to have the feature. For the styles that don't offer it, there's the full size Hydrophobic/Lens Cleaner Kit for $20. I use it on all of my glasses, definitely nice to have a Hydrophobic Holbrook.

Hydrophobic lenses no longer come pre-applied with the Hydrophobic solution so Oakley provides a sample pen with models that used to have the feature. For the styles that don't offer it, there's the full size Hydrophobic/Lens Cleaner Kit for $20. I use it on all of my glasses, definitely nice to have a Hydrophobic Holbrook.

I applied it to my half X and holbrooks and it is really nice

so basically, there are no more hydrophobic lenses? i have the full size nanoclear pen that i used to use to clean my glasses with. i noticed after a couple uses, the lenses become hazy and need to be cleaned with the cleaning kit. i think if this is the case, they should quit advertising the lenses as being hydrophobic in their descriptions. if you have to use the nanoclear pen to make them hydrophobic, then all of the oakley lenses could be considered hydrophobic.

So Oakley is sending out sunglasses with the Hydrophobic sticker on the lenses but they are not Hydrophobic? That's major false advertising and mis-labeling if they are which I would find hard to believe.

So Oakley is sending out sunglasses with the Hydrophobic sticker on the lenses but they are not Hydrophobic? That's major false advertising and mis-labeling if they are which I would find hard to believe.

No dude, i think there are some crossed wires in this thread lol....

If they have an "H" sticker they are Hydrophobic coated already, simple. This coating will rub and wash off over time so Oakley started sending a free sample Hydro pen out with the glasses so that you can reapply this coating when required. This pen is a small sample size version of the large Hydro kit. However most people just use the pen to coat all their other glasses as the factory coat lasts ages, unless you clean a lot or are in water a lot.

Now Oakley seen to be randomly adding a free Hydro sample to NON hydro glasses, why this is who knows, my guess would be either A they have 100000's of the things lying around and are just giving them away, or B to give people the chance to hydro coat their regular lenses as an option, not a factory standard.

I was under the impression that they were no longer Hydrophobic out of the box and that you had to apply the solution.

And technically they are Hydrophobic, you just have to apply the solution they give you.

the only models that will continue to be hydrophobic are the x-metal, elite and some wire frames. the rest come with the pen to apply yourself for the reason stated above

Latest Posts

Back