• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Discontinuation Has Started

I work at the store at HQ and I was told (not sure how accurate this information is) that the Nevada plant shut down because Nevada implemented the same safety regulations that California has. I was even told (again, not sure how accurate this is) that X-Metals haven't been completely discontinued but are being manufactured in limited numbers somewhere overseas, and that we still get an occasional shipment of some to our store. No one in the store seems to know whether a new line is coming out for sure or not, or whether the current line will be indefinitely discontinued altogether. I can definitely try to find out from the guys in R&D if anyone is really interested, as I see some of them in the store and in the cafeteria from time to time. Unless of course they tell me the info is strictly confidential.

I work at the store at HQ and I was told (not sure how accurate this information is) that the Nevada plant shut down because Nevada implemented the same safety regulations that California has. I was even told (again, not sure how accurate this is) that X-Metals haven't been completely discontinued but are being manufactured in limited numbers somewhere overseas, and that we still get an occasional shipment of some to our store. No one in the store seems to know whether a new line is coming out for sure or not, or whether the current line will be indefinitely discontinued altogether. I can definitely try to find out from the guys in R&D if anyone is really interested, as I see some of them in the store and in the cafeteria from time to time. Unless of course they tell me the info is strictly confidential.
Don't worry about confidentiality - we won't say a thing!!

Maybe this explains why some x-metals ship in 14 business days vs next business day on oakley.com?

According to Oakleys press release it was shut down As a result of the,

"complex science and cost that goes into producing each pair of X metals. Oakley has begun development of the next evolution of X Metal technology that will be supported by a reengineered manufacturing process".

Also from, Nevada Business Weekly,
"Oakley has offered job transitions for its 75 Nevada employees to its headquarters at Foothill Ranch in Orange County, Calif. producing its revamped X-metal line.

There were no changes in Nevada law, it just cost too much to run a separate factory for one line of sunglasses.

I really hope they are not made overseas...that would be disappointing. Unless I am clueless and some are?

I really hope they are not made overseas...that would be disappointing. Unless I am clueless and some are?

I think the Jupiter LX was made in China. Disappointing for sure, I'm hoping Oakley keeps manufacturing in the states.

With LUX on driver seat, there is a good chance for a percentage if not all Oakley glasses to be heading to China. As you have said the Jupiter LX is already made in China as with a lot of Oakley accessories.

I think the Jupiter LX was made in China. Disappointing for sure, I'm hoping Oakley keeps manufacturing in the states.

With LUX on driver seat, there is a good chance for a percentage if not all Oakley glasses to be heading to China. As you have said the Jupiter LX is already made in China as with a lot of Oakley accessories.

To be fair, most all the accessories were always made in China along with apparel. Jupiter LX I don't think sold very well and might slow down the move to over seas manufacturing. I haven't been watching the women's line but it seems like the lifestyle frames are churning at a fast rate. I bet if Oakley did a foreign frame it would start in the women's line first.

I've been told California law requires 100% of a product made in the United States in order for a "Made in USA" is placed on the product. I was told this by Leatherman customer services as I noticed they removed USA on their pocket tools. A few screw driver bits is made over seas but assembled in USA. I have noticed that all Oakley's with silicone nose pads do not have "Made in USA" markings making me believe that the pads themselves or the pad arms are imported but assembled in USA. All my wires are missing the USA markings but have been told by Oakley they are manufactured state side.

AS long as the US offers free Importation of any product into the US, all US manufacturing operations are going to die out and move overseas. Why pay 2000.00 a month for manual labor, when you can pay 2000.00 a month overseas for 10 workers, With no benefits.

Latest Posts

Back