• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Paint Repair

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
Thanks to JOBEN I'll have a 24K XX coming my way soon!

There are two scuffs on the right stem though and I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas of patching up the scuff on the gold stem?

I'm wondering if matching the paint and dry brushing it would help it blend in better with the X-Metal finish?

How reflective is the gold paint? I'm hoping that a paint place can match the paint.

It's not paint, its a powder coat using 24k gold dust. It would be impossible to match with paint, and you'd be better of leaving it as is. Very few places do this, but if you did find one, for a single piece it would easily be $100+ as the setup is what costs the money.

So it's a powder coat? Damn.

So even if I do manage to cover up the patches with it being a powder coat there's a good chance if it being worn off in other places right?

I have taken an additional set of earsocks and trimmed them to fit the wear spot locations. Mine doesn't have any, but I know where it occurs (back of the regular earsock location). I've slid the earsocks on and found where they sit tight and then trimmed just right. Basically with this set up you have the entire earstem covered from the front of the regular earsock all the way back to the tip of the earstem. This can work to prevent wear going foward...it can also serve to cover up existing wear in that location.

If your scuffs are in locations other than that, not sure...I'll have to look at mine when I get home and think about it.

Back