• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals In The Pool

xmetalx

Oakley Enthusiast
What's the story on wearing Juliets in the pool? Is it bad for the frames or the lenses? Or is it okay to do this?

Should be just fine, Chlorine or saltwater shouldn't effect it. Just make sure you wash them off with fresh clean water when you are finished. If the Chlorine is really strong, then as a precaution for the iridium coating on the lenses I wouldn't. I dont think it will hurt them at all, but.....

I wore my Juliets in the pool, salt water, fresh water with no affects on them in any way. They even sat on the bottom of the lake in about 10' of water for a week before I was lucky enough to find them again. I just had to replace the rubbers and they were good again. Most of the time I never even washed them off I just cleaned the water marks from the lenses and they were good to go.

I would echo most of the above however... if you have a gen 1 Juliet, I'd be more careful with the gen 1 plasma finish as they are known to discolor and I used to go in the salt water / sweat a lot and the plasma finish wore away and darkened (almost black), esp the area just under my eyes where it would touch my skin. Oakley replaced them but that was back in 2006.

I wore my Juliets in the pool, salt water, fresh water with no affects on them in any way. They even sat on the bottom of the lake in about 10' of water for a week before I was lucky enough to find them again. I just had to replace the rubbers and they were good again. Most of the time I never even washed them off I just cleaned the water marks from the lenses and they were good to go.

What you had found them again at the bottom of a lake that is so insane to think of I lost a knife for years and found it again in my garage but loosing something pricey on the bottom of a lake is something I would have been freaking out and getting my scuba license. :cool-20:

how long ago did you find them? if you keep them the way you found them, the lenses may be eaten away little by little. that is what happened to my a wires. but based on experience, i think washing the lenses with fresh water will keep them ok...

chlorine will effect the bridge rubber,so will the salts in sweat.ive done so many nose bridge rubbers that were like gum that I had to scrape out of the pocket.you wont hurt the Ti or hardware in any way.ive said it once and ill say it again...unobtanium was the Achilles heel of the x-metal line.

chlorine will effect the bridge rubber,so will the salts in sweat.ive done so many nose bridge rubbers that were like gum that I had to scrape out of the pocket.you wont hurt the Ti or hardware in any way.ive said it once and ill say it again...unobtanium was the Achilles heel of the x-metal line.

is that true of the rubber you use also or is yours more resistant?

I washed them off because they were in a very muddy part of the lake and changed the rubbers. I was camping with my family and I was playing king of the dock with my boys I had just thrown my boys off the dock and was standing there at the edge and another little boy I don't know came up behind me and pushed me in the water. My glasses went flying off my head and were gone. I tried looking but the water was too disrupted with other swimmers. So I went back the following weekend and got into the lake at 4am while it was still calm. I searched the bottom of the lake very slowly trying to not disturb the dirt and get every thing stirred up. I searched for about 3 hours and was about to give up so I just started thrashing my hands and arms back and forth and just about the time I couldn't hold my breath anymore I felt them hit the tips of my fingers. It was crazy because that whole week I was sick to my stomach thinking I would never find them again. It wasn't the monetary value that bothered me but this was my first pair of X-Metals I could afford and the first pair I bought while on vacation with my wife so they had and still have a lot of sentimental value. They are the Juliets I am wearing in my avatar photo. I've had them over 14 years now.

Will the rubber shrink?
ivg583.jpg

Latest Posts

Back