• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals or New Pseudo X-Metals? Where would you spend your money?

Well, this was achieved without resorting to plastic before, why now?
I think you answered your own question, or at least started to. :) Oakley does not have to make a lot of money on these new "X Metal Collection" pairs to remain profitable with respect to said pairs. Also consider that there is no long term plan to support these, no tune ups of nose bridges and such, which cuts profits on the surface, but if you look closer at the business plan it really just pushes folks to new pairs. This will likely be more profitable than the tune-up revenue approach.

I admit that probably the days of the X-metal, that gave the original sunglasses their name, are over.
In regards to manufacturing, yes those days are gone. However the release of the new "X Metal Collection" pairs is also breathing new life into the original X-Metal ecosystem. Not just from a valuation perspective, but in that folks are beginning to recognize more value in the original product compared to the newer knock-offs riding the coattails of the X-Metal family name.

I think you answered your own question, or at least started to. :) Oakley does not have to make a lot of money on these new "X Metal Collection" pairs to remain profitable with respect to said pairs. Also consider that there is no long term plan to support these, no tune ups of nose bridges and such, which cuts profits on the surface, but if you look closer at the business plan it really just pushes folks to new pairs. This will likely be more profitable than the tune-up revenue approach.

In regards to manufacturing, yes those days are gone. However the release of the new "X Metal Collection" pairs is also breathing new life into the original X-Metal ecosystem. Not just from a valuation perspective, but in that folks are beginning to recognize more value in the original product compared to the newer knock-offs riding the coattails of the X-Metal family name.
Good point, gone but definitely not forgotten!!! The new X-metal line exploits this, but highlights how good the old ones were!

I was wondering if some enterprising/highly skilled person, as we know of on this forum, could produce Badman/Madman replacement parts. You know what I am referring to
clear.png
. That would allow modding to go ahead with different anodised nose bridges. Pipe dream again
clear.png

Say hello to my latest addition!

o8w0YJ.jpg

Just need to get a set of Oakley Rx lenses sorted for these! That was the purpose of these. Have you got any suggestions for the colour or just keep Black Iridium? Polarised of course ;)

I think this question is better asked as, "should you spend money on x-metals or on any other pairs of Oakleys?"

Because these neXt-metals are a completely different animal than original x-metals; they just happen to share the name for marketing and pricing purposes. And that leads many to compare the two, but it's apples-to-oranges. As far as I'm concerned, any current Oakley product, neXt-metal or not, is going to fail in comparison to the original x-metals, regardless of what you call them.

But that doesn't mean nothing else is worth buying. Personally I have a pile of Juliets and examples of every original x-metal frame style, some in multiples, and my display case is reaching max capacity. So for me, there's no urgency to hoard more x-metals right now; instead I'm sitting back and dabbling in all the new stuff Oakley is putting out this year (including the neXt-metals). Because it looks like there is / will be some exciting stuff, and I don't want to live exclusively in the past.

There are more original x-metals in my future, but there's no hurry. Stretching things out is the best way to do it, anyway.

Why is everybody comparing apples to oranges?! They are different things!!!!! If you like badman/madman, buy them! If you like X Metals, buy them too! Why does everyone have to discuss this? Nobody cares if you like one frame or the other, and if you need someone to tell you what is worth buying or isnt, then your problems have deeper roots than Oakleys.

Thanks Kronos (haha!), you are are indeed correct. They are a line of their own! Just happen to have been marketed under the same name.

It took me a while to a while to figure out that Oakley manufactured these sunglasses and then a few years to get to terms with the price and my then meager salary. Unfortunately when I eventually decided to pull the trigger I was out of time and Oakley had pulled the plug. I did manage to locate a few pairs of new X-metals from online sites, but that was it.

I now rely on ebay for my cravings and addiction:dance2:. Unfortunately, the prices are fairly steep so I have to pace myself.

Just need some XXs and Romeos. Having said that I am not in an exclusive relationship, LOL. I have a Wiretap, Flack Jackets and a Fast Jacket. The latter are handy when you don't want to put your "precious" in harms way!:grin:

Back