• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Your biggest issue with Oakley's today

This is a great idea actually. Even to a casual customer, the mere thought of a distinguished line (that isn't priced like Elite) could instill the perspective that "wow, I think this is the cooler stuff because it's not with the rest".

As opposed to "why are there some weird pairs with the rest of these normal ones? I'm just a casual. Derp."
I think they need to reinstate the 'Elite' line with all those 'Holy Sh!t' new frames that should be coming out (madman/bad man)

Make and keep the Elite stuff Elite ... Don't dumb it down ...

'
Purpose beyond reason' is an awesome philosophy ... Why do you need a a sunglasses that wraps over the top of the head made of a ridonculous titanium alloy? BECAUSE ... Because it's COOL!

The 'disruptive by design' (and auction) campaign seems to focus on the same safe frames with somewhat disruptive ( loud) colour ways ( rust decay, toxic blast ) ...

We need a new campaign/philosophy with a no holds barred to make the wildest/technologically advanced/craziest frames since the late 1990's early 2000's...

Why stop producing Matte Rootbeer frames on most all styles . Why stop producing quality , popular , great looking products that sell ?????????

They probably, contrary to your taste, did not sell well.

We saw a LOT of rootbeer frames on the Vault website.

Matte Rootbeer in particular is never a great seller if I recall, so you're spot on. I actually don't mind it I think it has a touch of class about it and my polished Rootbeer PBII I think are what elite should be all about.

But you have to remember this is a tiny corner if the market and the Elite range in particular is not where the company sees (wrongly IMO) the future headed or where it can make the big profits.

We will be getting a lot more marketable low end price range lifestyle options.

Hey some people may love that, but it's not what it should be all about all the time.

I think they should take a page from Jim. Who took a page from designers, who have a fashion show were they show statement pieces and then mostly realistic items come to market..One such example you can buy 400 sweater from Ralph Lauren purple label or buy 80 sweater from Polo collection.. the fact there is always a high end market for almost the same item changed or enhanced. Another example mustang low 20k price range all the up to 50k decked out Shelby mustang.. We live in a world were people show there wealth by what they wear.drive and were they live..

Last edited:
Issues ?? That they are china made now, x metal line no more as with the lenses being discontinued. I saw a fuel cell the rust whatever you wanna call it for 650 HIDEOUS for a plastic the x metal case nice though. They dont sell plastic tiers LOL thats an issue for me. I know we have members selling them here for 30 a pop for a tier 30bucks??. Mediocore frame release as of late none collection worthy in my opinion.

Great thread!

I am a current employee at FHR who works with the product teams, from concept to creation and everything in between. While the company does have responsibilty to Lux, please know that the core design and innovation spirit, and passion for bad ass product is alive and well from Colin all the way down.

Like anything, Oakley is evolving, but wants to do so in a very brand-right way. Re-creating the past isn't the answer. It just takes some time to figure out what that looks like.

There is a pipeline of killer new product on the way, so hang tight.

For the naysayers, vast majority of Oakley eyewear is still made in USA, right at HQ where manufacturing runs 24/7. Also know that the crew at FHR lives and breathes the brand. There is no selling out.

Great thread!

I am a current employee at FHR who works with the product teams, from concept to creation and everything in between. While the company does have responsibilty to Lux, please know that the core design and innovation spirit, and passion for bad ass product is alive and well from Colin all the way down.

Like anything, Oakley is evolving, but wants to do so in a very brand-right way. Re-creating the past isn't the answer. It just takes some time to figure out what that looks like.

For the naysayers, vast majority of Oakley eyewear is still made in USA, right at HQ where manufacturing runs 24/7. Also know that the crew at FHR lives and breathes the brand. There is no selling out.
I believe your wrong on that point a bit..Take a look at new the charger mustang and Camero all recreated better younger consumer higher end for older ones .. You build a better product from q ' s from past to attract core customers. You then add new and exciting..You don't see car companies, shoe companies, thow away their past..You have to slowly mold and shape it, retaining the core who are older now and have more disposable income , while at creating buzz for your next generation of customers. You need to make Oakleys core stable to teens like nikes..kids can buy 60 dollar nikes richer ones can buy 300 dollar ones..

Last edited:
Great thread!

Couldn't agree more with some of that, but there are a couple of issues I will take up, simply because I am in a position to do so without being gagged by still being employed. I believe in those working at FHR, I truly do, but the question is how big a role they actually have in the direction of the company anymore, I know that will be controversial but the issue needs to be raised.

If you spoke to someone at Lux, they would say you have a massive responsibility to them.

In fact I personally think this is the problem with the Oakley brand, they think it is them who should be making decisions on company lines, where it is people who have a passion for the Original brand and believe in it that should be designing and marketing it to the targeted demographics. This just isn't happening anymore and what happens at HQ becomes less and less influential as time passes. Ask someone in Milan for example at Lux how much they listen to the people at FHR, not a lot would be the answer in all honesty.

Also, it's IMO open to interpretation how much eye-wear is still made in the US;. I can tell you when I was last in China I was absolutely shocked at how many lines were being made there. Assembled in USA is one thing, made is another. Again, it's a very difficult issue to talk about, it's something that almost defines the brand to some people.

For the record, I am not against moving production to China, in fact I have been there on three occasions and find the manufacturing standards absolutely superb, they hold themselves to very, very high standards, something I feel sometimes North America and Europe could learn from at times with regards to 21st century manufacturing. The problem in itself with China is Lux completely losing grip on the counterfeit market. Something I was tasked with at one point and I'm not ashamed to say I failed at as I believe everyone has since.

I believe your wrong on that point a bit..Take a look at new the charger mustang and Camero all recreated better younger consumer higher end for older ones .. You build a better product from q ' s from past to attract core customers. You then add new and exciting..You don't see car companies, shoe companies, thow away their past..You have to slowly mold and shape it, retaining the core who are older now and have more disposable income , while at creating buzz for your next generation of customers. You need to make Oakleys core stable to teens like nikes..kids can buy 60 dollar nikes richer ones can buy 300 dollar ones..

i'm not sure if Oakley wants to be a brand for the ''older'' people. If i see what events they sponsor their image is not really focussing on the older people with disposable income. (even though their prices would make you thinks so :p)
I think company wise Oakley is still doing great even for us ''complainers''? Raise your hand if you did not buy a model that has ben released in the last 4 years.
Let's say 100 people out here are now with their hand in the air. That is such a small amount, Oakley shouldn't even care for. I think on this forum are some of the biggest private clients of Oakley but, If you see it on the bigger scale we are, even with 100+ pairs a person, nothing else then Ants in this big big market.

So 1000 people on this forum who want to hold on the past (including myself) is nothing compared to the thousands and thousands of new clients who like the ''rayban style'' of new Oakleys

Back