• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Abundance of X-Metal models

nlp626

Oakley Beginner
Hi All,

I am just interested to know the relative numbers of the X-metal family. Obviously the Juliets clearly are the most abundant model out there and then probably X-squared next in line. Does anyone know the rough numbers/ratios of the different models. Thanks

I don’t think we know. I tried making a very rough ballpark estimate just based on the highest serial numbers recorded on O-Review (totally correct that not all frames are serialized). I ended up with ~2 million over the 15+ years various X-Metal types were made. Some people got upset, because that would render X-Metals a lot less rare than they thought.

Of course a lot of assumptions go into this. So take it with a grain package of salt.

Does the half x actually have the lowest production numbers ? 🤔 Always wondered about that....

I don’t think we know. I tried making a very rough ballpark estimate just based on the highest serial numbers recorded on O-Review (totally correct that not all frames are serialized). I ended up with ~2 million over the 15+ years various X-Metal types were made. Some people got upset, because that would render X-Metals a lot less rare than they thought.

Of course a lot of assumptions go into this. So take it with a grain package of salt.
Interesting, any idea of approximate distribution of the models of that 2 million+. Say 50% of which were for Juliets etc...?

Good estimate. I had more than 50% Here's the thread that covers pretty much the same question with a breakdown by model: How many Oakley X-Metals were produced?
Great link. Was reading in that thread about X-squared having the shortest run. That doesn't necessarily align with what you see on the second hand market, I would say they are probably the second most encountered model, perhaps that is to do with the lower associated price. Maybe, despite having the shortest run they managed to pump out a greater number.

Back