• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First try at tuning a XX TiO2 (in progress)

grimm

Oakley Enthusiast
USA
So looking around my local Goodwill, I found this tool in pile o' crap. It looks like a vintage hand press. The point seems replaceable. Nice thing about it, is when you press on it, both sides meet at a parallel motion. It doesn't arc like a pair of scissors or pliers, if you get my drift. While waiting for my stuff from LG, I figured I'd try it, if not, it is early enough to send it to the XMan. haha

Anyway, this as far as I've gotten so far.... there is no effort at all in pushing out those rivets.

imaget1.JPG

Does that press have "BERNARD" on the handle? I collect bernard (w schollman co) parrelell jaw pliers. They were highly customized, and had many different variations. Never seen that example. Sargent bought hem out in the 50s, curious if there are any marking on it.

Looks like a roll pin remover. Like for brake calipers but smaller. I've been looking at something like this to replace the current tool I use, looks like it may work!

@SiRacer420 Yeah, I have considered buying one of these EZ Red PPT13 Roll Pin Remover for Clutch Cylinders . It is cheap enough that if it doesn't work, I can certainly find another use for it. Until, I ran into this gem. :) I really want to learn how to do it, so far I think a cupped tip punch or a brass punch will do the job, if you are so mechanically inclined. Again, the force needed to push those pins is really minimal. Hopefully, my LG stuff clears customs soon.

@PapioXmetal I will have to check

This is the picture of the above tool in the link

rpm.jpg

@SiRacer420 Yeah, I have considered buying one of these EZ Red PPT13 Roll Pin Remover for Clutch Cylinders . It is cheap enough that if it doesn't work, I can certainly find another use for it. Until, I ran into this gem. :) I really want to learn how to do it, so far I think a cupped tip punch or a brass punch will do the job, if you are so mechanically inclined. Again, the force needed to push those pins is really minimal. Hopefully, my LG stuff clears customs soon.

@PapioXmetal I will have to check

This is the picture of the above tool in the link

View attachment 300328
Yep. I have that same tool watched in my eBay. I agree completely about the cupped tip. It would make the job a lot easier.

I use the same tool as LG but I bought it direct from alliexpress. The tip is soft and pointed so I ruined a couple of pair of pins before the tip mashed into a shape that works without damaging the pins. The problem then is the taper is too much to go all the way through the bridge so you're left pulling the pin out the rest of the way. It's messy but it works flawlessly.

Getting the pins back in successfully requires a few things. First is alignment. If all 3 holes, 5 if you count the flex couplers, aren't lined up perfectly, it's going to go crooked and you could punch through the bridge. I did this a few weeks ago. First one after about 20 tune ups. The flex couplers were not lined up properly. I should have trimmed them. Which leads me to number two. The flex couplers you use. I've used all the after market flex couplers available and the ONLY ones that I did not have to modify were the ones I got from OXM Parts. They are the only ones that I've used that fit the orbital tab properly. The rest require modification. Trust me, a tiny piece of rubber hanging around in the way of the pin is going to **** it all up.

The pressure required to get them back is exactly like taking them out if everything is aligned. Just don't hesitate. One fluid motion is the best way. TWSS.

Oh and if you're off center on the back of the pin, it's easy to roll of the edge and ruin the pin.

Thanks for the tips! I just checked that oxm flex coupler, but damn, ~$23 for a pair.
I can't remember what I paid but whatever it was, it was worth it. Half of the others literally ripped apart while trimming or pushing the pin in. So for the number wasted, even at $23 it would have been cheaper.

OXM Parts is on here, forum name is Scienergy. I bet you get at least a little better price here than eBay.

Back