• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak XL lenses (Sunglass Hutt UK) won't fit Flak series 1 9009 frames? Just snapped my frame fitting lenses .

Fergus9009

Oakley Beginner
Anyone know why Flak XL lenses (Sunglass Hutt UK) won't fit Flak series 1 9009 frames? Just snapped my frame fitting lenses .
DSC_5062.JPG

Last edited:
The frames were purchased in 2014 with RX Lenses. Both came together, direct from Oakley. New lense were Plano (non RX).
I also just bought New Old Stock custom Flak frames off ebay and the prizm XL lenses from Sunglass Hutt don't fit in them either.

Last edited:
So just for clarity. Did you buy the right lenses for the Flak Jacket? Flak Jackets didnt come with an XL lens option, it was an XLJ (Extra Large Jacket) the Flak 2.0 has an XL option but that's a different frame and the lenses are not interchangeable.

So just for clarity. Did you buy the right lenses for the Flak Jacket? Flak Jackets didnt come with an XL lens option, it was an XLJ (Extra Large Jacket) the Flak 2.0 has an XL option but that's a different frame and the lenses are not interchangeable.
Yes definitely the correct FLAK lenses. Not XL as you said, my error. And it was from Shade Station UK. I've written to Oakley Customer Service and provided them with my existing products' codes. Have attached an image of the lenses not fitting in another frame I just bought from Eyewear Outlet in Salisbury, UK.
The frames that snapped were 29-330, which came directly from the Oakley Lab with RX Lenses.
Screenshot_20221207-151320.png

I have just compared the Prizm Road and Trail Aoo9008LS against each other and an existing pair of Black polarised XLJ lenses.
I think it is a quality control issue. In the attached images, you will see the Right lense of Prizm Road is bigger on the outer temple side of the lens, hence why my Flak 9009 frame snapped.
Comparing the Left Prizm Road with Left Prizm Trail this time it is the TRAIL that is too big.
I managed to obtain another FLAK frame and the left TRAIL fits this white FLAK frame but it is much tighter to fit than other lenses
The Right ROAD will not fit the white FLAK frames at all. (This is the lense that snapped my black frame).
Have written to Oakley and they have confirmed they are investigating it. Will share the outcome.
InCollage_20221208_172026851.jpg
InCollage_20221208_171905113.jpg

I have just compared the Prizm Road and Trail Aoo9008LS against each other and an existing pair of Black polarised XLJ lenses.
I think it is a quality control issue. In the attached images, you will see the Right lense of Prizm Road is bigger on the outer temple side of the lens, hence why my Flak 9009 frame snapped.
Comparing the Left Prizm Road with Left Prizm Trail this time it is the TRAIL that is too big.
I managed to obtain another FLAK frame and the left TRAIL fits this white FLAK frame but it is much tighter to fit than other lenses
The Right ROAD will not fit the white FLAK frames at all. (This is the lense that snapped my black frame).
Have written to Oakley and they have confirmed they are investigating it. Will share the outcome.
View attachment 1017755View attachment 1017756

Edit. Nvm. They should be compatible.

Maybe the black frame had been stressed from having the rx lenses it for years?

Last edited:
Response received from Oakley..... Was a bit surprised!

Dear Fergus
To answer all your questions FLAK, FLAK JACKET and FLAK JACKET XLJ are three sub-categories of the same FLACK model and they are not compatibles among themselves.
FLAK Jacket Aoo9008LS (PRIZM ROAD) and FLAK Jacket Aoo9008LS (PRIZM TRAIL) can not be inserted in a OO9009 Flak frame because they have a different frame code.

The differences are listed below:

OO9008 and OO9009 Temple Material: Nylon
OO9011 Temple Material: Acetate

OO9008 Shape Frame: Soft Rectangle
OO9009 and OO9011 Shape Frame: irregular

Lens height:
OO9008: 36.0 mm
OO9009: 37.0 mm
OO9011: 39.1 mm
---End of note from Oakley---

(I have managed to buy a used but immaculate FLAK Jacket frame in Polished Black, with non XLJ lenses, off EBAY for a good price. Therefore my two pairs of Prizm lenses, each are AOO9008LS, will hopefully fit. If not I'll be back on to OAKLEY).
Regards
Fergus

Back