• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

GUESTS on the website

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m a thief, I’m stopping at firearms. Perhaps we should have a thread showing our CARRY weapon and our Os...maybe we do, already?

Is an Oakley collection worth dying for...Mr. Thief?

Yes there's a thread and unless you spend 24 hours a day sitting in your front hallway holding a shotgun then posting your weaponry is not a deterrent but an advertisement; they can wait to break in until when you're not at home.

Most pictures are geo-tagged these days, so easy enough to track down.

That's another example of the TMI people may post, posting pics with geotag metadata. That's an idiot move. Once there was a mod who'd strip that stuff out of people's pics but he isn't around anymore.

So here's an example - there's a member here who likes to post his stuff all over the place. Over time he's posted his real first and last name, the names of his children, and the name of his wife. He's posted pics of the outside of his house and his vehicles. He's posted pics taken from inside his house that had geotagging metadata attached, allowing one to determine his exact address. And he's announced when he was going to be out of the country for a few months while the rest of his family was still home, alone.

Is that acting responsibly? Forget your stuff, what about your family?

I mean, this may be low risk compared to other things but it's still taking risks for no benefit and relying on luck that nothing happens. Relying on luck isn't a winning strategy.

People can do what they want, it's just that some of this stuff makes me SMH.

Yes there's a thread and unless you spend 24 hours a day sitting in your front hallway holding a shotgun then posting your weaponry is not a deterrent but an advertisement; they can wait to break in until when you're not at home.

That's another example of the TMI people may post, posting pics with geotag metadata. That's an idiot move. Once there was a mod who'd strip that stuff out of people's pics but he isn't around anymore.

So here's an example - there's a member here who likes to post his stuff all over the place. Over time he's posted his real first and last name, the names of his children, and the name of his wife. He's posted pics of the outside of his house and his vehicles. He's posted pics taken from inside his house that had geotagging metadata attached, allowing one to determine his exact address. And he's announced when he was going to be out of the country for a few months while the rest of his family was still home, alone.

I mean, this may be low risk compared to other things but it's still taking risks for no benefit and relying on luck that nothing happens. Relying on luck isn't a winning strategy.

Point taken. I’m moving!

Yeah, unfortunately, one of the downfalls of making technology easy to use is that now people don't realize how much information they actually transmit each day about themselves. So you have people that are addicted to their cellphones, laptops, etc, but don't realize one must take measures when venturing online.

Even if one has geo-tagging disabled, there's still a lot of information that can be transmitted through the picture itself. An example would be license plate.

The exchange thread actually has a big privacy leak in the sense that most people's shipping addresses are their home addresses. Now, thankfully, members here do not communicate that information from sender to sender but it is a privacy leak nonetheless - it's just benign.

Personally, I am of the viewpoint that if someone really wants to find you in this day and age - they will be able to. Unless, of course, you are careful about every little move like @OakleyFrankFMJ.

This thread has become a buzz kill. It should be renamed "reasons not to be an OF member" @Orion ;)

I think y'all got lost looking for the "safe-space" thread again.

People can do and share what they want. You've got a better chance of running into a killer on Craigslist than getting robbed because you took a selfie and shared it with the forum.

This thread has become a buzz kill. It should be renamed "reasons not to be an OF member" @Orion ;)

I think y'all got lost looking for the "safe-space" thread again.

People can do and share what they want. You've got a better chance of running into a killer on Craigslist than getting robbed because you took a selfie and shared it with the forum.
Too late. I already packed up the family and am heading to Alaska.

lol. A guy like you from a blue collared town like mechanicsburg.....i highly doubt you would run from much;)

Point is....dont let the liberals on here scare you from posting a selfie or being proud of your life and loved ones. It's the same thing MSM does with their liberal agenda

oh-hell-yeah-.jpg

Only an idiot would think this discussion is trying to say don't post selfies or be proud of your life and loved ones or not share anything. I've sure shared a lot of personal stuff over my years here.

The point is to use good judgement to not cross a line that exposes you to unnecessary risk. You can share plenty of stuff without doing that.

And only a libtard would insinuate those things than call someone an idiot once they become exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back