• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm on a roll! X Squared X Metal Ruby

The set I got is more of fire-ish ruby and not so much of purple hue. Show me yours so we can compare. Mine says 07/06/09 on the box assuming its the manufacturing date. Your pair might be an earlier set thats why its darker?

Cant really see it as much from my pic but ill try and get some better ones done later. They have a really deep purple hue goin on in the centre of the lens. Mine came without box and coin so i cannot tell the date they were made (Long story involving Oakley) but they were apparantly one of the last pairs available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think that the ruby color has more to do with when during the production run the lenses were made, rather then how old they are. I think that when the machine is fresh and starts cranking out a fresh batch the lenses have a much deeper red hue then the final bunch of lenses which have very little. The 1st generation ruby lenses were pretty consistent, but I've seen them all over the place since... what was a great ruby color in say the beginning of august is a fire ruby (fruby) by the end of August. The quality is the same, but the color combination seems to change by the day.

I honestly think that the ruby color has more to do with when during the production run the lenses were made, rather then how old they are. I think that when the machine is fresh and starts cranking out a fresh batch the lenses have a much deeper red hue then the final bunch of lenses which have very little. The 1st generation ruby lenses were pretty consistent, but I've seen them all over the place since... what was a great ruby color in say the beginning of august is a fire ruby (fruby) by the end of August. The quality is the same, but the color combination seems to change by the day.

It is interesting how they change, I don't think other lens colours oakley produce have this variation? I always thought ruby is ruby no matter when/where you buy it. I knew the original 1st gen penny's had the darkish ruby but never thought it would carry on throughout the other ranges.

I actually spoke to the Oakley guys up at HQ about this. They told me that they basically changed their production technique years back after the first run of their ruby red Juliets. The original ruby red color was too expensive to manufacture because it took too long and had a high rate of messing them up. The current ruby is produced much quicker. While I have seen variations and darker colors, but I have never seen a current production lens one as dark as the originals. I don't know if you remember but the original retail price of the Ruby Juliet's were $400 and were later dropped. Anyways, thats just what I was told by the Oakley guys.

Good info to know. I know that the initial Ruby Lenses looked pretty much nothing like the current incarnation, and I assumed the reason for the change was because of cost, however even with that I've seen some pretty wild variations on these more recent batches. I have nothing to base this on other then knowledge of other industries and general manufacturing techniques, but it sure does seem that during the last few years of production, you really never knew just how much Ruby you were going to get as one set of lenses might be 3/4th's red, while another set only 1/4th red.

i'm tempted to pick up a pair of pb 2's as well as xs with ruby lense. but just picked up some watches so got to budget alittle now

Just picked up an XS X Metal Ruby after calling everywhere in Sydney. Just happened to walk into the Manly O store (had called them previously without luck) and spoke to the manager. He then showed me several frames that he had been keeping in the back room, and one of them was an X Metal! Must have been the last one in Sydney. Finally went with the Ruby lenses after tossing up between them and the Fire.

Time to send in my Carbon Black Iridium Juliet for a tune up.

Latest Posts

Back