• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Jawbone vs New Racing Jacket vs Split/Wind Jacket Differences/Similarities

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Updated 20th October, 2018

If you have any further information, please leave a comment!

What Are the Differences?

1. Name - Jawbones had to have their name changed when they were upgraded to the New Racing Jacket (years earlier, Oakley released the monocoque design Racing Jacket Gen 1 and 2) because of copyright on the name from another company.

2. Lenses - Jawbone lenses and Racing Jacket lenses are compatible. But all Racing Jacket Lenses are Vented. Only some Jawbone lenses are vented. Jawbone/RJ lenses are NOT compatible with the smaller Split Jacket Lenses.

3. Icons - Jawbone icons are smaller and stuck in place. The RJ lenses can be easily removed by a simple clip system. They are NOT compatible. Split Jacket icons are compatible with Jawbone icons.

Jawbone-v-racing-Jacket-icon.jpg

4. Stem Perforations - The shape and size of the stems are exactly the same (126 mm). But, the RJ feature perforations at the ends to accommodate a retention strap. The Split/Wind Jackets also have the perforation and the retention straps are compatible between the Split/Wind and new RJ.

Jawbone-v-racing-Jacket-stem.jpg

5. Bolts - The thru bolts on the Jawbones are actually one-quarter of a millimeter longer than those in the Racing Jackets, and therefore shouldn’t be swapped. It seems infinitesimal, but that added length can cause stripping if you put thru bolts for Jawbones into your Racing Jackets or Split Jackets. I believe that the RJs and the Split/Wind Jacket bolts are the same

6. Jaws - Split jacket jaws and Jawbone jaws are not compatible (jawbone jaws will fit racing jacket jaws and vice versa)

7. Split Jackets are exactly the same as Wind Jackets (except the Wind jackets came with the rubber/plastic wind gasket from the factory that can also be purchased separately for the split jackets)

8. Models - The Ducati and Infinite Hero version can only be found in the Wind Jacket. It was not officially produced for the jawbone or the new RJ. There are numerous other special edition releases for the Jawbone/RJ. You can see some of them here.... Cacatman's Jawbone/Racing Jacket Collection

Additional Information for reference:

Oakley Jawbone Sunglasses - The Ultimate Guide

Did you make this thread to show off your collection because it worked I’m jealous!
Thanks. One thing I've learnt is that there will always be another collector you can be jealous of, no matter how many beautiful Oakleys you own!!! The key to success in this hobby is to try your best to be content with what one has!!!! At least, that's what I try to do!!!! LOL.

I will have dig deep to show something XMM did years ago.
He used split jacket Jaws on a Jawbone/RJ. Made the overall look less aggressive.