• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Laminate Flooring

Yes laminate is susceptible to water. The core of the material is Medium Density Fiberboard with a paper thin picture of wood flooring on top and several layers of aluminum oxide finish.

Laminate is being phased out in the flooring industry right now by a similar material commonly known as LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank).

LVP is made from a vinyl composite so it isnt susceptible to water at all. 100% waterproof. And it is now being produced with the same locking mechanism(UNI-lin) that most laminates had/have. So it's still an easy, floating install just like laminate, but offers the resiliency of vinyl(same material in Walmart and grocery stores).

It's really a fad right now. I haven't installed laminate in well over 2 years and probably do more LVP than anything right now since the technology is advancing and it looks like real hardwood now.

Yes laminate is susceptible to water. The core of the material is Medium Density Fiberboard with a paper thin picture of wood flooring on top and several layers of aluminum oxide finish.

Laminate is being phased out in the flooring industry right now by a similar material commonly known as LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank).

LVP is made from a vinyl composite so it isnt susceptible to water at all. 100% waterproof. And it is now being produced with the same locking mechanism(UNI-lin) that most laminates had/have. So it's still an easy, floating install just like laminate, but offers the resiliency of vinyl(same material in Walmart and grocery stores).

It's really a fad right now. I haven't installed laminate in well over 2 years and probably do more LVP than anything right now since the technology is advancing and it looks like real hardwood now.

Anytime you can add “Luxury” to a name you can charge a premium too!!!

@IAMOBS you can change @"TRUMP" s quality post count to 7.

There’s nothing like the look, feel and sound of hardwood floors.

They can be resurfaced when scratched and they will last longer than the rest of the house.

True. But hardwood can be expensive and isnt supposed to be put in sub tropical climates with drastically fluctuating humidity (like south and central florida), or over a concrete subfloor....so it's all about what's right for you

True. But hardwood can be expensive and isnt supposed to be put in sub tropical climates with drastically fluctuating humidity (like south and central florida), or over a concrete subfloor....so it's all about what's right for you

Exactly. I did hardwoods upstairs and I need to do a mud room area where you walk in from our garage so I am gonna do some LVP this winter in that area.

I second that 100%
I have also installed Vinyl at a friends house. It's so much better than Laminate and will last much longer.

Latest Posts

Back