• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Life Event

Medusa50

I own Oakley
East Coast
I’m writing this today after receiving some devastating news several weeks ago. I have been diagnosed with Stage IV Prostate cancer. Having started chemotherapy and other treatments I thought it would be a good time to offer my perspective on some things. It’s very early and I don’t want to speculate but hearing this news gave me a different view on life. We all enjoy material things and there’s nothing wrong with any of that. When something like this happens you very quickly see how none of it has much meaning anymore. I’d give up everything if it meant I could simply live with my wife without fear of an illness such as this.

My decision to put this off may sentence her to losing me. While I may be at peace she will continue to hurt and eventually she will be faced with the decision to part with things I have acquired. As I look around all I see is stuff. Stuff that I collected. Stuff that I know about though much of it she is only vaguely familiar with. There may come a time when she will be forced to part with those things. I told her it’s ok. They are just items. Of all the watches I have I told her if there was one she wanted to keep it would be my Red Diamond MM. She gave it to me. That’s worth more than any FMJ or anything else I have.

I feel very guilty for investing so much on all of it. The burden of selling it will fall on her at a time when she won’t know what to do. Her mind will be elsewhere. I don’t expect her to be able to address it and only she can determine when. I’ve started taking inventory of things I have. Right now I’m considering a list to help her in the future. Though it seems rather pessimistic I believe it’s a practical approach. We all have a great deal of knowledge that only we possess. It would be irresponsible not to help people to understand what they are looking at.

In addition to my Oakley items there are firearms, tools, automobile collectibles and movie posters. A garage full of cars, and things that only I knew existed. I thought of a time if I was gone when someone would have to go through all of it saying, What is all this crap? I have a fog light switch in the garage worth several hundred dollars for the right buyer. It would likely wind up in the trash. Maybe I wasted my time on this earth.

If you’re reading this get tested. Don’t wait. The guilt I’m carrying is tremendous. Don’t force your family to have to endure the pain because you didn’t want to go. The “it won’t happen to me“ is all too real and by then it’s too late.

I have a lot of folks around me telling me You got this! I know mindset is everything. I walked out of chemotherapy saying, You won’t take me lying down. You’ll need to go through me! I’m preparing for the fight of my life.

Man that really sucks, I pray all goes well for you!! My wife has been on my to go get checked out as well. I think you just made up my mind. That was a great perspective you put on the “things” of life. This community is here for each other

My Bud.
This brings back memories of our meet in NYC on New Year’s Eve a few years ago.
Well said putting life into perspective.
You have been and are in my thoughts.
I will connect with you separately.
Stay strong, my friend.

Man, I hate to hear this for you. You're right though, ultimately all this "stuff" will become rust and dust. Will be praying for healing and for peace for you and your wife as you both go through this.
John 16:33

You're a strong man @Medusa50 and you got this. I hate hearing this but thank you for sharing.......if this just helps one person then your "Life event" was 100% worth sharing. I wish you and your family the very best.....tough times are coming so take things one day at a time and focus on what's important to you.

I've lost both of my parents (my Dad to small cell lung cancer) and your outlook on life def. changes. I have lots of material things (more than some, less than others) and lots of it will mean nothing to others if/when I go. My focus has shifted to have my affairs in order, save/invest so I can retire, and hopefully enjoy a few years. So many people are unprepared when a curve ball is thrown their way.

Back