• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M-Frame Ballistic

ChrisTopherloaf

Oakley Beginner
I tried a search, I'm obviously new here. I can't find any information on drilling the hole for the ballistic m-frame. Is it just as easy as marking the hole with another lens that has the hole? The only post I found was, "drill a hole or take off the clip." I like the clip and the extra security it provides. I appreciate the help!

What lens are you trying to modify to accept the clip?

What are you using the frame for that you feel you need the clip?

I haven't made the modification myself, but it's not as easy as just making a hole. If the height is off the clip won't fit, if it's too small it won't fit.

Plus drilling polycarbonate is tricky, and the lens is curved, so you've got a high potential to have the drill walk on the lens and induce stress during the process that may cause cracks to propagate. And you'll need to clamp the lens down, probably drill from inside to out.

Boom. Thanks Rustpot...that's all I needed to know. Not worth the trouble. I have Ice iridium strike lenses I was thinking about doing it to but I'll through that idea out the window. It's definitely not life or death that I need them so I'm not worried about it.

The hardest part would be getting the hole correct. You'd have to stand the lenses front to front and make sure they're lined up and perfectly straight.

You can try it on a cheap lens first if you want. I have a beat up yellow strike that I'd let go for a few bucks.

Here's a retail clear overlapping a grey ballistic to give you an idea of how it looks. You can see they're not identical, so it's pretty tricky to get them perfectly aligned.

0513632D-4EEC-4710-92D4-A9DACF6483AF-8442-000007AE7D3E9044.jpg

It's not that hard. I can do it. Biggest thing is the potential for iridium flaking and also chamfering the hole slightly.

You already mentioned it but taking the clip off would be 100x easier because then you can just walk into your local Oakley store and get a new lens put in.

Back