• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Metal Polish On 24K X Metal XX

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
Los Angeles, CA
I recently picked up a pair of 2nd Gen 24K X Metal XX from Exr29070 to replace my 1st Gen 24K XX's where the plasma was starting to tarnish. V2kJokerz had mentioned someone on the board told him about using metal polish to clean up the plasma frames. I was skeptical and didn't want to try any cleaners on my one and only pair of 24K's. Now that i have two pairs in my possession, i decided to give it a shot. I already had a container of Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream sitting in the garage. I started off by taking apart the frame, but leaving the earstems on (they're a b!tch to put back together). I then took a Q-tip and carefully applied small amounts to the plasma. After letting it sit for a few seconds, i started rubbing and wiping off the product with a microfiber towel. I forgot to take before pictures, but here's a pic of the result.

7688869376_9b8cc18ea1_b.jpg

The left orbital was almost brown when i started. Granted i didn't spend too much time doing this, i think they're back to a state to where i'm happy with them enough to use as a wear pair and keep the 2nd gen as a shelf queen :cool: I didn't try it on the gold parts as i was scared it would damage that finish. So if anyone has a frame that's starting to discolor, give it a go :smile: