• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley and Dillon Collaboration

Since I'm not cutting them anymore you guys will have to keep buying them from eachother. The first set I ever did was for Litos, I bought the lenses on eBay thinking they'd be cool. Then lined him up since he had the $$$ and we were chatting and texting a lot then. Second I actually did Split Jackets.
Dillon x Oakley x CAH collaborative (unofficial) of course. But I've been asked by Trent and the VP at Dillon to stop. So I won't mess with them anymore.
Talk about a flawed marketing and sales strategy.
A whole community ready to take on a healthy sized chunk of Dillon's "blanks" and they go ahead and says no. This is free marketing and promotion.
Likely they would only be seen in higher end Oakley's/Elite Oakley's and they get their name out there for free....
I dunno...
And Oakley, what the heck kind of say should they have in this. They forefeited the right to have an opinion as soon as they stopped making this sweet a$$ indistructable frames, and not only that but they stopped making replacement parts for them what kind of BS customer care/aftermarket approach is this??

The way I see it
Dillon wins in tons on free promotions
Oakley wins as they still would be keeping the Pinnacle of achievement in heavy rotation.
I mean honestly, who wouldn't increase the frequency of wearing big ticket items if replacement parts were readily available.

Not like they support the community big spending collectors a heck of a lot.

No one will ever be able to tell anyone what to do with their property...

This is mother effing America y'all...

I can do whatever I want with any item I buy with my own money and no one on the planet will tell me otherwise...

If I want Dillons cut for a freaking cool frame I see at the gas station, then I'll freaking do it...

If I buy a Dillon frame and want to custom cut a Maritime Prizm for it, I'll do that too...

I agree, but I'm no business attorney and can't risk needing one.

They have absolutely zero legal footing behind their request. Once someone has purchased their product, that property is no longer theirs and they have no say on what is done to it; one may legally do anything one wants to them, including modify and resell. It's not like you're signing a contract with terms and conditions when you buy them.

Just don't advertise them as Dillon lenses, instead lenses "custom cut from Dillon lenses". That way it can't be misinterpreted that you're representing them as being a completely Dillon product and they have nothing valid to complain about (and even that would be a stretch). Along with this idiotic and inaccurate thread title - it may imply a business collaboration that doesn't really exist, but you're not the one describing it like that.

There's a whole industry making aftermarket modifications to OEM products; it isn't illegal and any judge would laugh in their face. If you don't want to do it then don't but if you're afraid of legal consequences, you're just letting them bully you. Personally I'd tell them to "talk to the hand", though less politely.

But I thought they changed their tune? Did they change back again?

They started selling 6 base curve donors. But the guy who was advertising them sort of just disappeared on everyone. Stopped replying to requests etc. Very few people were interested in that Curvature (would look great in frogs though @SouLFuLFrog and @kronin323 ) and they weren't the NIR technology. They were "active" or something less matte, and less diffused looking.

I agree and think the title to this thread should change to. Custom cut Dillon lenses in Oakley sunglasses. Though like you said it's not my thread, nor my title.

Sometimes I'd just rather avoid the fight. You are right though, I didn't sign any contracts or agree to any terms as I'm not a Dillon vendor. So you individuals looking to do custom work might be able to buy lenses for your own projects without fear... Hmmm.

Which one do the lenses actually fit better in? Or is It good in both? It might pop more in plasma. So I'd vote plasma to showcase the lenses. But it also looks more covert if that's even possible, and rugged in the xmetal.

Back