• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Thanks for sharing.

I am disappointed in the feedback I have heard with these.

I guess as Oakley fans and at the price tag it’s going for we had hoped Oakley would “Have our backs” and produce a functional but fashionable mask.
They might still. Hopefully an MSK4 or MSK5 will have a better filter design. I coupled the MSK3 with a cloth/filter mask overtop and the rigid frame of the MSK3 keeps the mask off the mouth and nose and makes wearing a mask much more comfortable so the design has loads of promise. Here's hoping that they listen to feedback!

They might still. Hopefully an MSK4 or MSK5 will have a better filter design. I coupled the MSK3 with a cloth/filter mask overtop and the rigid frame of the MSK3 keeps the mask off the mouth and nose and makes wearing a mask much more comfortable so the design has loads of promise. Here's hoping that they listen to feedback!
I hope they make improvements, and offer more filters...🙄. Still cannot find the sweet spot on mine where my lenses won’t fog up.

Just got mine in today.

For reference. I’m a physician, and I’m very familiar with protective equipment. At work I wear a 3M full face respirator with P100 filters (much better than N95).

I’ve had lots of cloth masks at the start of the pandemic. I’ve bought many filter masks since then.

The Oakley mask is very similar to the one by Honeywell, and the one by OR (outdoor research), in that it uses a mask frame of sorts to hold a thin filter on your face made of a synthetic papery substance (likely melt blown polyester or something of the sort)

The problem with all masks as far as providing any kind of actual protection against viruses is the seal. For actual protection you need an N95 or above mask that’s actually fitted properly so it provides an airtight seal, otherwise air is just going to go around the edges of the mask and bypass the filter.

I just don’t see masks of this design providing anything close to a decent seal. The filter isn’t sealed to the mask in any way, and you’re just hoping it’s pressing it to your face well enough to make the paper seal in some way.

So it’s about a useful as a cloth type mask for protecting those around you by catching your spit/snot/droplets. But it isn’t adequate to protect the wearer any more than a surgical mask would, regardless of what rating they give the filter element itself.

I’m gonna play with it and see if it can hold an N95 cup on my face, or maybe my breath99 mask cup.

I hate ear loop masks so I usually use a behind the head strap attached to the ear loops to hold them.
Expect the lab testing results to get added to the page once launch is complete.

Expect the lab testing results to get added to the page once launch is complete.

Oakley’s lab testing results are for the filter media only.

This does not take into account design of the mask and fit of the filter to the face, both of which are critical. You can take a sheet of N95 level filter material and tie it with a string on your face and it will be a mask made of material that is certified to filter 95% of x micron particulate matter, but it won’t filter a single thing.

Oakley’s lab testing results are for the filter media only.

This does not take into account design of the mask and fit of the filter to the face, both of which are critical. You can take a sheet of N95 level filter material and tie it with a string on your face and it will be a mask made of material that is certified to filter 95% of x micron particulate matter, but it won’t filter a single thing.
yeah......you dont know what you’re talking about. Be patient.

yeah......you dont know what you’re talking about. Be patient.

Uh huh. Ok.

If Oakley gets this thing certified as a NIOSH N95 level PPE mask I’ll freaking eat my shorts after taking a hot steaming Chipotle dump in them. It’s a non-medical mask and it does not provide a proper face seal. End of story.

I’m a medical professional that deals with infection control and PPE selection on a daily basis. I know what I’m taking about.

Their filter media may provide a certain level of filtration however, as I said, proper fit and seal are essential and this mask is incapable of providing a seal that would enable proper testing of its filtration capabilities.

If you want it to replace a cloth mask or a surgical mask, that’s cool. If you want it because it looks awesome, that’s cool. That’s about it.

Back