• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Old vs new oakley pouch

erap

I should Work at Oakley
Is the old one with the oakley software print better than the new ones in terms of cleaning lenses and preventing scratches?

I have both and do not know the pros and cons in terms of materials used.

In my experience the older bags tend to be a little thicker than the newer ones. Cleaning lenses is more effected by how dirty the bag is not so much by which version it is. There are some bags from the very early mars and romeos that people have said are quite a bit rougher than other bags but I've never personally seen one.

There's always been some inexplicable variations over the years even during the same points in time (I've always figured it was different bag sizes/models being manufactured in different facilities with different source materials- similar to how some colors or generations of the same shirt at a clothing retailer look and fit different and you note they are being manufactured in different countries) but you can tell a good quality microbag upon first touch.

I have a couple where the material is soft as butter- you run your hand over it and it feels so soft, thick and the weave is tight- to the point these few I have like that you can fill with water and they hold the water. Seriously- like no water comes out; vs. many others where the water runs right through or run through at varying degrees. These few bags are the only ones I use to clean my lenses; while I agree that the cleanliness of the bag definitely determines how well it cleans, the older bags clean better, quicker (like one swipe and all is well) and clean better and quicker longer than any others. I'm figuring what is happening is the quality and thickness etc of the bag is able to more effectively clean oils etc and absorb more so it works better over a longer period of time.

To me the microbags today are just going through the motions- frankly I don't know why Oakley includes them anymore (and aren't they not on some newer models...like the Badman and Madman?) because all they do is just spread oils and dirt around on the lens; they're fine for putting your glasses in (while inside a case) but that's it. If you can find some older ones or any - the only thing recently that gets close are the Elite bags from the PB 1- do so and hang onto them.

@erap I do not use the microfiber bag as I find it does not get rid of the oils. The best cleaning cloth for lenses that I have ever used and continue to use is the Calotherm cloth. They are really good at removing grease and do not scratch.

Calotherm - Technology

I have used them on microscope optics and filters (fragile dichroic coated glass) with no issues.

They are available on ebay.

In general I try not to use MF by itself unless I'm in a pinch. I clean lenses with the cleaning kit spray and included MF.

The spray cleans more thoroughly and with less effort, reducing the chances of leaving cleaning marks. And keeping the cleaning kit MF in its pouch helps reduce picking up external dirt on it.

I keep one kit on the table where I put my wear pair for the day and give them a cleaning before returning them to the display case. I keep another in my daily carry backpack for on-the-go needs. The kits are cheap and you get lifetime free refills on the spray, so it's a no-brainer.

Back