• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Optical inserts for Oakley shield sunglasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 27138
  • Start date
Any one else tried? I was thinking to buy it for my EVZERO

Ok. I have these.

I’ve tried them on my M, Radars and EV zeros.

They work reasonably well, however their field of view is definitely slightly restricted compared to your view without them. They basically hook onto the nosepiece on the M and EVZero, but in the Radar they snap into place.

Couple of caveats. You’re still dealing with an rx lens with a significant base curve as it’s sitting behind the shield, so depending on the your Rx and how well they adjust for it you could be dealing with distortion.

They fit well with the size of the Radar lenses but on the M and especially the EVZero they are simply tiny compared to the size of the shield and on the EVZero they seem a bit awkwardly placed due to how the shield extends higher.

In order for them to fit properly you kinda do need to use the special nose pieces they provide. And they are massive and clunky looking. If you don’t use them the lenses sit very close to your eyes. If you do use them, the entire assembly sits further from your face than normal, negating a lot of the advantages of having a shield lens.

Another option for the EVZero is a company called SVED optical. They do a thing where they glue lenses to the nosepiece with a bit of rubber as a spacer. Their lenses are rounder in shape and a better match for the EVZero, however because they are round I found that I lost an annoying amount of side peripheral vision with them.

Whatever you do make sure you get some good AR. My SVED lenses did not have AR and the reflections were crazy from the double lenses. I had @chrishardaway do my inserts and he did a great job on them.

In retrospect after all of this, it isn’t worth it unless you need the specific tints you can’t get elsewhere or if you need the protection of a shield lens and the ability to replace a damaged lens inexpensively.

I just switched to a pair of Rx Wiretap 2.0 (expensive) and even though they are a base 6 compared to a base 8.75 for the shields, I literally have full peripheral vision with them. Lens to the edge of my visual field in all directions, and without the optical sacrifices I was making before to get a shield lens. I’ll still keep the Radar’s for shooting but they weren’t practical for everyday wear.

636ce59ad5246e8cbf6f21dede0bdbee.jpg

46bcf923a52538cfc99efc47bbc9f6e7.jpg

9162e2d03a355500dab2b22b13fae2b3.jpg

Back