• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question...

greg

Oakley Expert
Philadelphia
So obviously I have a question for the forum... I am wondering how all you would handle the response.

So I am a college student and since the new semester just started I was looking up my professors linkedin profiles seeing where they have all worked. One company that my teacher worked at... which was a marketing company who deals with marketing brands and developing apps for businesses. On the website their was a typo the word manage was spelled "mange". God only knows how long that typo was there and how many people saw it. Even more so how many business firms saw it and chose not to do business with the marketing firm.

So I wrote an email explaining that they had a typo and where it was on the website. I got a 1 word response that said "thanks". I then checked their website and it was corrected.

So the question is, how would you respond if you were the marketing firm?

I feel a bit shafted by them in the sense... I took time out my day to point out a major flaw. a typo in the business world is major. I know plenty of firms who will not look at a resume after 1 typo. Many feel a resume should be perfect. It should be reviewed line by line. In the same manner a website as well. Its the face of the company.

I feel they could of done a couple things...

1. Said thank you for taking the time to point that out to us. and then inquired more about who I am, what I study, and see if they would want to connect with me on linkedin. After all they are a firm that provides a service... wouldn't they want to develop as many relationships as they can?

2. Ask for my contact info, maybe send me some pens or a coffee mug. most hr dept. have something like that which is basically free advertising.

3. ETC

I dont feel like continuing the list when I feel that I made my point.

So yea, should have received a response with more than 1 word.

Honestly?

You're lucky you got a response.

If your email hit a salesman or a go-getter you might have gotten something more. More likely it hit a peon or someone that forwarded it on.

I think both 1 and 2 are very unrealistic.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's amazing that they took the time to send anything at all. There is professionalism and there is a courtesy, unfortunately there is a lack both in the world...;) There are good people out there though!

Pondering slightly more on this;

As an engineer part of what I do is sourcing parts and researching junk. Most times when I'm looking at something I want more info on and want to talk to a person I'll fill out a contact form. I probably get a 25% return rate. And this is from someone emailing a company saying "hey I want to buy your stuff, please tell me more about X and how to buy it?"

I want to clarify that I really didnt have expectations for a reply... but when I saw that they did reply, I thought they would at the very least say thank you and that they appreciate me taking the time out to point it out to them. Then proceed to maybe build a relationship like I said as simple as connecting on linkedin. This firm btw is a very small local firm.. walking distance to our campus.

Dude, I'm sure you did that with the best of intentions and that it was helpful, but frankly, people don't tend to appreciate unsolicited random strangers pointing out their mistakes to them. You took the time to point it out; they took the time to not ignore you completely. If you think correcting people is a basis for starting out a friendly relationship, you're gonna be very disappointed in life...

In general, there's this quote - "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

Peace... :drinks:

Pondering slightly more on this;

As an engineer part of what I do is sourcing parts and researching junk. Most times when I'm looking at something I want more info on and want to talk to a person I'll fill out a contact form. I probably get a 25% return rate. And this is from someone emailing a company saying "hey I want to buy your stuff, please tell me more about X and how to buy it?"

What kind of engineer are you? I'm currently working on a BAS for Aeronautics and am considering swapping paths to Aerospace Engineering.

Latest Posts

Back