• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying R1 oem or original lens

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
If it was me, even if I went to the trouble and expense of getting my custom cut R1 lens etched with 'XMetal', I'd still know it wasn't the 'real deal'. As for people seeing me wearing it, the etching would be utterly meaningless, except for fellow X obsessives.

Then of course there's the risk of unscrupulous types trying to pass it off as real.

Just can't see advantages. But to each their own I guess.

Some people reacted to this post.
I messaged him about etching several times here and by email. Never heard back. We need a new etcher.

I also agree that etching X Metal in an R1 lens would almost definitely lead to d bags passing them off as originals. The only other person that would what it done would be a collector trying to complete a set and any true collector would know that wasn't truely original and thus would be useless to them.

How much does an etcher cost? Even at charging $20 per etch I think it would pay for itself.

Also, someone had some OEM R1 lenses for sale here a few weeks ago. I have one set of each but am hoarding them lol

I think having the Ichiro etched on an X-squared lens would be something I would pursue...perfect example of not imitated but certainly setting the tone for future duplication.

Everyone likes something different, and some don't care about originality. If you want X Metal etched and can find someone to do it, I say go for it.
But like others have said, to try to sell it as original is obviously not right.

Username Hidden said:
Do we wanna proliferate 'fake' etchings of the word Xmetal? Just asking. Although may be cool to get an etching of another word entirely!
Yeah, that could lead to problems with differentiating between oem and custom cut. I have two new Romeo sets and wouldn't be happy with fake etching.

Username Hidden said:
PS, @EdsJunk can etch them fit you for around $40-45 a piece after! If he's still around.
Stay with the force young Hardaway. Don't move to the dark side. :rofl:

Thumbs up! @NuttyOAK13Y
You know I PERSONALLY would NEVER try to pass something off as OEM. Didn't even think once they are out of my hands others WOULD try to rip people off. Forgive me, I feel the force coming back to me (not the dark side).

Username Hidden said:
Thumbs up! @NuttyOAK13Y
You know I PERSONALLY would NEVER try to pass something off as OEM. Didn't even think once they are out of my hands others WOULD try to rip people off. Forgive me, I feel the force coming back to me (not the dark side).
I know you would never do that buddy. Just a tricky toad to go down. I have seen some Juliet lenses that are not even custom cut from Oakley for sale in the UK and they have the polarized etching on. The etching is too high from the bottom of the lens for them to be genuine.
You should do personal etching for people like, a name or a sports team, that would be cool.

Username Hidden said:
Everyone likes something different, and some don't care about originality. If you want X Metal etched and can find someone to do it, I say go for it.
But like others have said, to try to sell it as original is obviously not right.
Some people will though. That's the problem. If you had some genuine new R1 lenses boxed like me would you be up for it?

Username Hidden said:
Thumbs up! @NuttyOAK13Y
It was a joke Randy not a go at you buddy.