• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removing Fuel Cell Icons

when i paint my icons paint them on flat paper. make sure when you do this that the icons dont get moved onto the surrounding paint. otherwise it will tear the paint off the icons once it dries and you try to remove it.

It is best to try & raise the Icon up off the work area so it doesn't stick to the surface once you have painted it. I use two small balls of bluetac & squash the Icons down onto them making sure the bluetac doesn't protrude out from underneath. This also holds the Icon in place on the surface too & so will not blow around when you paint it. I use car paint out of cans to spray mine as it's only a small job. I use a heat gun between the primer, colour & laquer coats, like you use for removing gloss paint etc from woodwork, to help start to bake the paint hard . This also helps with the application of the next coat in taking to the surface. I usually leave it overnight to go fully hard & then apply my special badge tape to reapply new adhisive to the back of the Icon.

I would not use Platsi Dip, because one layer is around 0,2mm. If the coating it much thicker than the original, your icon won't fit.

A very good and cheap icon tool

Last edited by a moderator:
easiest way is to use a pyrex glass measuring cup, boil the water in it in a microwave for like 2.5 minutes, drop one side in for 20-30 seconds and pop off (adhesive will remain intact) and repeat...Trust me, it works like a champ

When do you go to put them back on, do you have to reheat the icon to get the adhesive tacky again or what?