• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Restoration of an Mag Four

germanwolf

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

as stated within my short introduction, I‘m about to restore an old Mag Four.

It was dark carbide but the coating came off around the nose area (I used it as an RX, daily).

First question, any chance to polish it or is there a need for certain coating because of the magnesium?
Second question, I could not find earsocks & nosebombs anymore, any ideas here?

Thanks in advance

The more I’m reading about magnesium & it’s tendency for corrosion, the more I’m asking myself „Is it worth the efforts?“, or will I finally be back to start soon wearing it daily?
Any experience here?
Thanks…

Pretty sure it can be polished. I think there’s a couple pairs of Mag Switch floating around the forum that have been. @alol has one I believe.

Sure, polishing is an option, I did a trial already. Like the look, but will it last? Unlikely, remember the aluminium rims on my old GTI, they turned from shiny to blunt quite fast. I assume magnesium will be even faster…

Sure, polishing is an option, I did a trial already. Like the look, but will last? Unlikely, remember the aluminium rims on my old GTI, they turned from shiny to blunt quite fast. I assume magnesium will be even faster…
Clear coat it after it’s polished.

Thx
Let’s see I’ll find someone within Europe, maybe together with polishing. Blasting & coating should work even better, or? The blasted look is ok for me also

Hiya

Good luck! :)