• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Scuff on lens need advise please.

ArthurL

Oakley Beginner
Hey everyone I was wondering if little scuff as this one can affect or degrade the quality of the lens? Thanks in advance.
$_57.JPG

If it's really just a scuff, it's likely going to be minor nuisances at most. Light might hit it funny , it might be obtrusive, and well it's ugly. Really depends on how big/major it is. My pairs have minor scratches and nicks from saving my eyes from debris on rides, and they're unnoticeable when looking through.

Impact protection will still be there, UV protection as well. It'd have to be a straight up crack to compromise either.

Unfortunately the lenses, especially those with iridium coatings do scratch and scuff very easily, and not much can be done for this other than keep them in their microfiber bags when not in use. I carry the bag with me at all times so I can put the sunglasses in it as soon as they leave my face. It does help.

Unfortunately the lenses, especially those with iridium coatings do scratch and scuff very easily, and not much can be done for this other than keep them in their microfiber bags when not in use. I carry the bag with me at all times so I can put the sunglasses in it as soon as they leave my face. It does help.
I do the same with my new ice iridium polarized. I heard that water is not good for the lens, What about when you got caught in rain or snow. What about sky and snowboard lens are they the same?

I do the same with my new ice iridium polarized. I heard that water is not good for the lens, What about when you got caught in rain or snow. What about sky and snowboard lens are they the same?

Water is not a problem if you just clean after use. You just don't want it to sit. Salt water could be another story, but I assume you can get away with it if you clean promptly too. Would rather get salt water on my lenses than eyes. If you get Oakley's hydrophobic kit, the lenses would fare better in water.

Snow is only as bad as you crash I guess.

Iridium coatings are only 20 microns thick, so "whoops" like that happen.
For myself, I'm pretty picky about my lenses, and with sensitive eyes, I'd replace a scuff directly in front of my vision.
Fortunately, there are still plenty of frog lenses still available, and there likely will be for a long time yet.
Sorry about your luck...don't do it again.
:cool-33:

Back