• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shallow water polarized?

Btw today is a rainy day, and outside of my window is mostly just green and a beige apartment building, so an example of that wouldn't do any real justice.

So as a compromise for now, I've gathered some various color items particularly of brighter reds, orange, blues, greens, etc such as my fountain pens, some product packaging, etc. So that may show better the difference in color between lens.

Camera setting remains at 1/250, f/5.6, ISO 200, Focus locked on the center pen, and remains unchanged from base shot, camera remained on a tripod.

The only adjustments between shots are :
  • White Balance (pulled off the top left of the Paczki box for each photo)
  • Exposure (by adjusting flash output for identical exposure, camera settings remain the same)
  • +15 contrast to just the Prizm lens to bring them up to same as base/CPL since we want to compare color change, not contrast change. Any contrast difference between SWP and Trail will still be visible.
Considering that focus was not readjusted, the Prizm lens do very well optically speaking and there is reduction in resolution with the Prizm lens held in front, but it's extremely minor and very good considering they're not glass optics.

In order to avoid back glare, I popped the lens out of my Holbrook and held it close to the front of my camera lens, using my hand to help cup light from getting in from the side.

There is an exposure difference between lens of course. 1 EV is 1 stop of light or exposure value, if it's -1EV that's half the brightness, +1 twice the amount of light getting in, likewise +2 would be four times as much light, and -2 being a quarter of the light getting in.

The shot order :
  • Base (no filter at all in front of the lens) 0 EV
  • With a Breakthrough Photography X4 Circular Polarizer (for polarized reference) -1 EV (half the light)
  • With the SWP thru the back (as we see them) and in the same orientation as mounted in the frames. -3 EV from base (8 times less light)
  • With the Trail thru the back. -2.3 EV from base (~4 to 5 times less light)

What you may find interesting, is that the red of the Paczki box and memo pad eventually looks like the same orange as the Reese's Pieces box, just darker. This isn't particularly surprising considering that both the SWP and Trail lens are designed to let in more red/brown light to make those stand out more. In person this causes a heavy pop of things like hunter orange, red stop signs (and cherry red trucks), and fluorescent pink really pops too. But blues, greens, etc get muted. It looks weirder in a photo, but oddly gets adjusted in person.

The color tweaks that their dyes do also seems to be pretty narrow to specific wavelengths. As mentioned before, it's not altering every broad hue of what we would perceive as red or orange, but mainly just in particular areas. Likewise it's not reducing the light reduction of a broad swatch of colors, but just in peaks of certain wavelengths. This is probably what helps give it that 'pop' without making the entire scene itself seem weird.

Regarding the measured white balance. Base and CPL usage are at 5500K +8 Tint (The Breakthrough X4 is designed to be as neutral as possible), SWP ended up being 2400K -16 Tint, and Trail at 2100K -32 Tint. To give you an idea of what our eyes get use to, between 5200K to 6500K is roughly warm to cool daylight, 2600K to 3200K is your typical 'warm white' light bulb. But our light bulbs don't typically target specific color wavelengths like Prizm does (GE Reveal bulbs are the closest thing I can think of that attempts to do something similar, while the base appears to stay at a warm white).

When it's a decent day out, I'll go out and re-do it in more real-world settings.

It'd be nice if Oakley had a set of Prizm lens cut into like maybe a set of 37mm or 52mm camera filters, just to get a look at that effect.

View attachment 860600

View attachment 860601

View attachment 860602

View attachment 860603
What camera did you use?

What camera did you use?
By the way you can use just about any camera as long as it supports the ability to shoot raw format (so like my Olympus cameras save to ORF, Panasonic to RW2, Pentax to DNG etc), since that captures the raw data and allows you to adjust the white balance in post to be closer to how you perceive it when wearing it. For example the before/after of the trail above, white balanced corrected wouldn't look warm but would be "accurate", but most of our eyes will perceive and keep the warmth while wearing it rather than mentally correcting it for true white balance. So what colors get boosted or reduced is accurate, pulling back a little to show the warmth back is perceptual.

here's a list I put together the last couple weeks to answer some of these questions I've had of my own. w light transmission and base lens color

View attachment 859983
The Prizm Shallow Water Polarized has a bronze base lens (not rose) with a Green mirror coating.
The Prizm Deep Water Polarized, is a grey base lens (not rose) with a Cobalt Blue mirror.

Last edited:
The Prizm Shallow Water Polarized has a bronze base lens (not rose) with a Green mirror coating.
The Prizm Deep Water Polarized, is a grey base lens (not rose) with a Cobalt Blue mirror.
yea well tell that to Oakley, thats directly off their website

The above is a review of both, with the Oakley representative wearing the Shallow water Polarized and the SportRX (Oakley's long-time premium reseller) guy wearing the Deep water polarized. They clearly mention the Bronze/Green and the Grey/Cobalt-blue.

If the website says otherwise, it is probably a mistake. I have caught several mistakes on the Oakley website lately......several years back, when Oakley was Oakley and not part of a conglomerate, they had higher standards on what was present within their website and the details were better vetted.

Okay, within the description below the above review, they have a pinned note that states that the Deep Water has a Rose base and the Shallow Water has a Copper base.

So even though both are water optimized lenses, these are 2 drastically different lenses.

I have both in juliet, I think DWP is better in all aspects tbh. I got the SWP to have something different, Would i choose them again? Probably not.

I have the Prizm Ruby Polarized (Radar EV Patch and Flak Jacket 2.0 XL), which is also a lens with a bronze base and I am guessing the Shallow water should be fairly similar, with just a difference in the mirror coating.

I personally like the warmer tones of the bronze, over the cooler hues from the grey-base (I have the Prizm Black Polarized in the grey base) or the Rose base (I have the Prizm low light). But that's just personal preference.

Latest Posts

Back