• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Should I Do This To My Car?

So, yeah I am bored today....

About a couple years back I sold my 74 chrome bumper MGB to purchase a very early `91 Miata with just 75k miles. It was a cheap way to have fun sliding a car around corners and not worry too much about an investment. Over the years I've considered buying a Beck 550 Spyder (Porsche 550 remake) but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a $30k toy I will drive a few times a year. I got an idea, what if I take my Miata and tear off the A pillar, do low bucket seats and possibly add a Lexan small windshield. I'm actually considering doing this. I'm not worried about resale, it's a $3,500 car at most. It was bought with the intention of having fun.

Ideas?

Here is the car now:

garage_zps2166d369.jpg

house_zps6ded29e5.jpg

rear_zps546e3840.jpg

And here is what I did in Photoshop (about 20 minutes). I didn't add seats or a Lexan windshield. Just wanted to get a rough feel. Opinions?

Custom-Miata_zpsebedec43.jpg

I say do I. If you are not worried about resale then its just a toy / hobby car for you. You will have a very unique custom and a conversation piece at the very least. No matter what when you are done with it as long as it looks cool you will always be able to find some kid that will drop some coin on it. Have fun

I've always called that car a death trap. At least you can have fun with it. :)

If you honestly don't care about the car and it has no sentimental value I say go for it.

I'm honestly thinking about it, it wouldn't be expensive to do. I'd be doing most of the work myself. But yes, I was actually thinking of trying to get the license plate "DEATHTRP" because if it ever flipped my head was coming off. A rollbar would be smart but would kill the look. This would probably be driven just around town and in a safe manner. Now that I am a Dad to a 3 year old I am trying to cut down on risky behavior, which completely counter acts this entire thread. haha. Hence the reason I am selling my Harley under the cover in the garage. Anyone looking to buy a 2007 1800cc FXDSE?! ;-)

I'm honestly thinking about it, it wouldn't be expensive to do. I'd be doing most of the work myself. But yes, I was actually thinking of trying to get the license plate "DEATHTRP" because if it ever flipped my head was coming off. A rollbar would be smart but would kill the look. This would probably be driven just around town and in a safe manner. Now that I am a Dad to a 3 year old I am trying to cut down on risky behavior, which completely counter acts this entire thread. haha. Hence the reason I am selling my Harley under the cover in the garage. Anyone looking to buy a 2007 1800cc FXDSE?! ;-)
You feel your Harley is dangerous? Or is it what is surrounding you while you ride that is the danger? Just curious

You feel your Harley is dangerous? Or is it what is surrounding you while you ride that is the danger? Just curious
I can only hope so, that would be awesome. I want to be that guy wearing the leather helmet and leather eye goggles. SWEEEET!

Check on state laws you start messing with the windshield you may have to wear goggles when driving. Protective eyewear...
EXACTLY! It's the other people around me. It seems EVERY TIME I am at a stop light I look over and there is a 16 year old girl on her phone texting or updating her Facebook status. Everyone is on their dang phones while behind the wheels of 3,000 lb machines doing 50 mph. Just too scary anymore.

I love when I'm just cruising along and the car next to me decides they suddenly want to shift into my lane. I look over and it's some dumb "person" with the phone to their ear and then they realize I'm there and swerve back into their lane.......then they look at me like I'm doing something wrong.....and people why I don't bother staying with traffic and usually do way way more than the speed limit.

Latest Posts

Back