• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So These Cases Use Lexan And Not Acrylic For The Shelves And Enclosure?

cubangt

Oakley Beginner
one of the cases we have the single, needed some shelves replaced, so we went to the local plastic warehouse and picked up few for cheap, but now looking back, I think we got acrylic instead of lexan

Could it be that they use the lexan for its UV protection that ive heard about? I mean worst case now we can just get some UV film and do that on the shelves just so we have pretty close stuff.. not that it would matter..

hi basically the same but lexan is much stronger better for retail but acrylic or pleixglass good enough for home as I hope no one will try and smash it to pinch your collection .

try a local sign shop when looking for replacement Perspex they will cut and flame polish the edges .

Lexan is just a patented brand for polycarbonate sheet. They do make it with UV protection but would not be required on an indoor case. There are many simular competitive products avalable at a plastics supply shop. I replaced the doors on a 3.0 DW. For shelves I would use glass, doesn't bow, less likely to scratch, cheaper and easier to find than acrylic.

Lexan is just a patented brand for polycarbonate sheet. They do make it with UV protection but would not be required on an indoor case. There are many simular competitive products avalable at a plastics supply shop. I replaced the doors on a 3.0 DW. For shelves I would use glass, doesn't bow, less likely to scratch, cheaper and easier to find than acrylic.
I scratched my tempered shelves :( pretty easily too I might add. If I were to want to spend the cash, I would have tempered shelves made with the starfire glass...that would be sick...Doors too. I had a warped door that I had to heat and "coax" back to shape...

just use plexiglass to replace the shelves. I assume you are talking about the old style aluminum cases.

I scratched my tempered shelves :( pretty easily too I might add. If I were to want to spend the cash, I would have tempered shelves made with the starfire glass...that would be sick...Doors too. I had a warped door that I had to heat and "coax" back to shape...

just use plexiglass to replace the shelves. I assume you are talking about the old style aluminum cases.
Starfire is beautiful :D

Latest Posts

Back