• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Time bomb serial 001087F

whiterabbit131313

I should Work at Oakley
Omaha Nebraska
So, (because of all of you people) decided to buy a broken time bomb 1 in x metal finish with a titanium face. I had replaced the capacitor in my black stainless one, so I figured I would just give it a go. I located one on ebay that was not working bit had a good crystal . I won the auction for somewhere around $150. Paid the man and waited for it to arrive in the mail.

When it showed up it was not only not functional, but the absolutely most disgusting thing I had ever laid my eyes on! It was covered with a thick film of filth and it had the odor of a corpse. I proceeded to remove the crown in order to remove the movement and put the entire thing in the ultrasonic cleaner. Clouds. CLOUDS of filth churned out of it as I ran it through the cleaner for over 3 hours.

While the body was being "decontaminated" I proceeded to replace the faulty capacitor. Naturally the smallest screws in the known universe hold that sucker in, and the retainer that they hold down is under tension.... yes. The screws went flying across my desk and the great hunt for microscopic hardware lost in an industrial maintenance office began. Thankfully the screws were found and the capacitor replacement went without any more chicanery.

I removed the freshly cleaned body from the hot bath of now black cleaning solution and put it through a rinse and wiped it down.

I then proceeded to reassemble the timepiece . Screwed on the case back, and pressed in the crown. The second hand began to move in oh so sweetly satisfying silence.

I placed it upon my wrist and enjoyed my handywork as I watched a cloud of moisture cover the inside of the crystal....
SO, I took it BACK apart. Blew it out with compressed air again. However this time i let it sit and dry for a couple hours. Cleaned the inside of the crystal. Applied Oakley hydrophobic magic stuff to the inside of the crystal. Let THAT dry. Buffed to a shine and reassembled yet again.

All that was left to do was wipe the titanium down and begin using and abusing it once more. I began to notice that the pins that hold the band to the body were bent to the point of damn near falling out and that is when the search for new pins and pads began.

The pads were easily located thanks to the help of a couple fine fellows on this site and have been ordered from big rabbit.

However... I couldn't wait. So I took them out of one of my black ones and proceeded to try to remove the pins in ol 001087F. That. Sucked. They were bent so bad that I had no choice but to gently twist the band clean off and remove the mangled bastards with a pair of needle nose. And since I had "borrowed" the pads out of the donor bomb, I used the pins and sleeves as well.

SO after a couple weeks of nonsense and a little bit of elbow grease Time Bomb #001087F lives again and is something I am truly proud of. Thank you so much to everyone who helped me along the way!

So, (because of all of you people) decided to buy a broken time bomb 1 in x metal finish with a titanium face. I had replaced the capacitor in my black stainless one, so I figured I would just give it a go. I located one on ebay that was not working bit had a good crystal . I won the auction for somewhere around $150. Paid the man and waited for it to arrive in the mail.

When it showed up it was not only not functional, but the absolutely most disgusting thing I had ever laid my eyes on! It was covered with a thick film of filth and it had the odor of a corpse. I proceeded to remove the crown in order to remove the movement and put the entire thing in the ultrasonic cleaner. Clouds. CLOUDS of filth churned out of it as I ran it through the cleaner for over 3 hours.

While the body was being "decontaminated" I proceeded to replace the faulty capacitor. Naturally the smallest screws in the known universe hold that sucker in, and the retainer that they hold down is under tension.... yes. The screws went flying across my desk and the great hunt for microscopic hardware lost in an industrial maintenance office began. Thankfully the screws were found and the capacitor replacement went without any more chicanery.

I removed the freshly cleaned body from the hot bath of now black cleaning solution and put it through a rinse and wiped it down.

I then proceeded to reassemble the timepiece . Screwed on the case back, and pressed in the crown. The second hand began to move in oh so sweetly satisfying silence.

I placed it upon my wrist and enjoyed my handywork as I watched a cloud of moisture cover the inside of the crystal....
SO, I took it BACK apart. Blew it out with compressed air again. However this time i let it sit and dry for a couple hours. Cleaned the inside of the crystal. Applied Oakley hydrophobic magic stuff to the inside of the crystal. Let THAT dry. Buffed to a shine and reassembled yet again.

All that was left to do was wipe the titanium down and begin using and abusing it once more. I began to notice that the pins that hold the band to the body were bent to the point of damn near falling out and that is when the search for new pins and pads began.

The pads were easily located thanks to the help of a couple fine fellows on this site and have been ordered from big rabbit.

However... I couldn't wait. So I took them out of one of my black ones and proceeded to try to remove the pins in ol 001087F. That. Sucked. They were bent so bad that I had no choice but to gently twist the band clean off and remove the mangled bastards with a pair of needle nose. And since I had "borrowed" the pads out of the donor bomb, I used the pins and sleeves as well.

SO after a couple weeks of nonsense and a little bit of elbow grease Time Bomb #001087F lives again and is something I am truly proud of. Thank you so much to everyone who helped me along the way!
Goddamned silly rabbit! I read all that (good story) and didn't even get to see a fu**ing picture of TB001087F. Before and after maybe?....I feel like I got cheated :mad-35:

Before. Photos taken by seller. I didn't waste any time once I had it in my possession but trust me
It was super gross.

Screenshot_20190917-212800_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190917-212750_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190917-212805_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190917-212808_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190917-212812_eBay.jpg