• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tips for painting/prepping polished clear frames

dernyrider

Oakley Enthusiast
indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

I am going to attempt to paint a polished clear sutro and frogskin with a transparent candy colour! I wondered if any of you guys might have some tips or tricks for this kind of paint job? My main concern is how to prep a frame like this, as I'm guessing sanding is not to best of ideas.

Let me know!

Thanks!

Not to bad for first attempt!
9BAD6687-9BC9-4EA4-830A-404181A59B32.jpeg
30AF7A10-D4C6-4A9B-809F-888945D16CF3.jpeg
25D5F9CB-553E-4EF8-8D01-5A32C93F8FFA.jpeg

For a first attempt I’d say pretty dayum nice. I had been watching the thread because I was curious for any tips as well.
I ended up using a candy paint from Custom paints Inc. then finished it off with a 2k clear coat.

Pretty easy for prep! I just used an adhesion promoter on the sutro, then sprayed the candy straight on. No sanding or anything. The blue frogskins I just sprayed the candy straight on. I wiped them both down with alcohol to clean them real nice.

Hi. I don't know much about painting lenses but I have this information: "Normally Oakley customizer guys use duracoat or cerakote so it last for a long time." I copied it from one of my conversations :)

Back