• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Valve 1.0 Clear Hinge/Hub question

Lopaka KaMars

Oakley Non-Expert 🏄 😎🤙
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Kaneohe Hawaii
Aloha OF. 🤙
I thought I had asked this somewhere before but can't find an official question anywhere so hopefully this is the last time. This is about the hinge piece that's between the ear stems and the frame. Is there a particular model that has the clear piece? So far I've run into a couple of them because I've been working on several pairs at the same time. I just wanted to know if it's just a random thing? Or does it appear in a particular color frame? Or a specific year? If manufacturing happened over several years. The red one I'm pretty sure I know where I got that one from. The blue one I'm not so sure. I've mixed parts up on frames I work on. Whoops. :cool:🤙

IMG_3755.jpeg
IMG_7821.jpeg
IMG_8393.jpeg
IMG_4201.jpeg

Everyone I've done has been clear there but I've only done like 3 or 4 so don't have a large sample size to go off of.
Weird. I think I'm more like 50-50. The hubs I painted purple and green were black underneath, not clear. I'm working on a couple more frames but was debating whether to strip their hubs since they're in great shape as is. Mahalo Bro. :cool:🤙

So here's one of the sets of black hubs I have. This is the one I had painted purple to go with my Violet lenses. So far I've found more clear ones than these black ones. Just gotta look at the small nub/stub to see if clear or black, if you happen to pop out the ear stem. :cool:🤙

IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG