• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are my x-metal XX worth please?

Nnnnssss

Oakley Beginner
Hi all.

I bought a pair of X-Metal XX (with black iridium lenses) brand new in about 2003 and must have only worn them twice. They are still in pristine condition, and i'm thinking of selling.
I have the original cardboard box (serial number matches the frame) which also contains a large X-metal coin. I also have an Oakley soft bag and hardshell X-metal zipped case for the glasses. (is this a full set?).

I want to put them up for sale but i don't know what they're worth.
I'm based in UK.

Thanks in advance
NS

Hi all.

I bought a pair of X-Metal XX (with black iridium lenses) brand new in about 2003 and must have only worn them twice. They are still in pristine condition, and i'm thinking of selling.
I have the original cardboard box (serial number matches the frame) which also contains a large X-metal coin. I also have an Oakley soft bag and hardshell X-metal zipped case for the glasses. (is this a full set?).

I want to put them up for sale but i don't know what they're worth.
I'm based in UK.

Thanks in advance
NS

Your best bet is to take as good of pictures as you can and list it on ebay. Describe it accurately and start it at $1 with free shipping. That's the only real way to tell what it's worth. Anyone that tells you what it's "worth" that isn't trying to buy it from you is just giving you an opinion.

"worth" vs "market value" .. eBay will give you the latter, be careful.

The more important question may be "What are they worth to you?"

There are some good threads here on OF discussing - and debating, value over the years, the recent ones have information relevant to your query. There is a VERY good chance you could get ripped off on eBay, it happens often, that is why many of us here on OF do not use eBay for these types of items. Nothing against eBay, but condition is subjective and regardless of detailed pics those eBay transactions can get messy - not saying that won't happen elsewhere, it is simply more likely on eBay.

Search this forum and provide as much information as possible, include the SKU, box, packaging, everything included - including the foam inside the box, if any .. if you are not sure what those are ask here or head over to o-review if the pair is serialized (XX###### ?), they may or may not be serialized - this may help: X-Metal Serial List

Good Luck!

Depends which colourway they are, do you know the SKU number or have pictures of them?
Thanks. They are grey, with black iridium lenses. A few photos:

IMG_5465.jpeg

IMG_5468.jpeg

IMG_5469.jpeg

IMG_5470.jpeg

IMG_5471.jpeg

those look to be in good condition; a few questions you should be prepared to answer for a serious buyer:
1. How is the finish? Are there any shinny spots where the coating is worn off or scratched?
2. How are the lenses? Do you see any significant scratches in the field of vision, when looking through them?
3. Do the arms move freely without a lot of play?
4. How tight is the nose/bridge compared to when you purchased them new?

Again, 'subjective' is a word to avoid, get pics where you can. Lighting for good pics can be tricky, especially for lenses and small scratches. Do your research and you'll get a fair price for what appears to be a nice and complete XX. :cool-20:

Your best bet is to take as good of pictures as you can and list it on ebay. Describe it accurately and start it at $1 with free shipping. That's the only real way to tell what it's worth. Anyone that tells you what it's "worth" that isn't trying to buy it from you is just giving you an opinion.

Good, sound advice!

thanks. I'm happy to help any serious buyer and will even send a video of me wiggling the nose bridge if necessary. The glasses are 17 years old but in as-new condition - as they have only been worn for a few hours in total.

Not keen on eBay so I want to list these on the OF exchange forum - but I need to state a price. Any suggestions please?.

Describe it accurately and start it at $1 with free shipping.

If you do this make sure you set a reserve - you probably don't want to let a nice complete XMXX go for a $1 or three, 'cause that does happen.

thanks. I'm happy to help any serious buyer and will even send a video of me wiggling the nose bridge if necessary. The glasses are 17 years old but in as-new condition - as they have only been worn for a few hours in total.

Not keen on eBay so I want to list these on the OF exchange forum - but I need to state a price. Any suggestions please?.

:popcorn: .. these questions are always interesting, X-Metal valuation and market value are among the most debatable topics on OF.

Back