• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

When did old school Oakley end?

For a longtime owner that lost contact with the brand how do I avoid buying new school when I see a pair I like?
I just picked up a Grapevine Rust and a Speechless polished black with gray lenses.
Both are from 2006 a. 2007 and for my wive.

Wear what you like man. If you like the new school then do it. I was in the Vault the other day and the only things that appealed to me were a steel gray pair of Gascans, a couple latches, some straightlinks and a whole bunch of shirts, backpacks and board shorts ;)

For a longtime owner that lost contact with the brand how do I avoid buying new school when I see a pair I like?
I just picked up a Grapevine Rust and a Speechless polished black with gray lenses.
Both are from 2006 a. 2007 and for my wive.
I think that there are many other's who are in the same dilemma as you are. The Oakley brand created a following because quality and how they treated their customers were in high regard. I'm sure this was a driving factor why Luxottica forced them to sell, knowing the following the brand had.

Everyone has their own reasons for why they would or would not buy "new school". Some of the older "new school" is fairly good quality IMO. 2011 is my youngest pair that I feel still had the "old school" quality. After that I wouldn't trust the quality as far as I could throw and elephant. So for me the choice is to stick to frames I like and try to pick up as many as I can, get them customized, and enjoy.

Lux can keep their new school garbage. I know it can be frustrating as an Oakley enthusiast, but Oakley is not Oakley any more. The one exception is the lenses. The lenses seem to have the same high quality standard they always have had. I have not heard of or read any complaints in lens quality.

Thank you for sharing your experience with pre and post Lux Oakley.
So here is still my dilemma.
I was in a Oakley Store at the Airport and looked at some frames.
Some felt like no name frames like being sold at a local gas station and some felt like quality.
I was hoping more members share their stories and feelings about ''Oakley'' glasses sold by Lux after Nov. 2007.
It would help me make better choices, save money and embarrassment.
Especially if I buy a pair for my wife.
I am sure some of you have paid good money for sub standard or even a fake.
Perhaps I should ask the community about their worst Oakley purchases.

My Purchase:
1990: M-Frame and Frogskin
1994: E-Wire Gen.1
2019: O3 Ti Rx, Grapevine, Speechless

As far as the new stuff goes, so why would you be embarrassed? Yes the new stuff mostly sucks, but there are a few frames that are not to bad that have came out since lux took over, it’s all a matter of what you like, our opinions shouldn’t change what you like. For me, most of all my glasses are pre Lux, due to the fact I love the old stuff, but I’m not 100% totally bias of the new stuff either ,
I myself don’t like 80% of whats in the stores today

Back