• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

When to swap washers

Thanks for all the love guys. I wub you too.

On the subject of washers, I believe Oakley double stacked their washers for the purpose of having a very low friction joint -- not of metal on plastic but plastic on plastic (washer on washer). Unfortunately the materials they used for their washers were not extremely resilient and were prone to tearing or blowout. I designed my washers twice the thickness of OEM washers so that double stacking would not be required.

The materials I use are extremely friction resistant, with the loose having the most friction resistance (resulting in an ear stem that moves easily no matter how tight you make the screw) vs the tight which have anti-friction properties but also provide enough friction to tighten up the screw and make for firm moving stems. This especially useful for guys who tuck the glasses on to the front of the shirt collar or those who like the "firm" tight feel that comes with tight hinges. Both materials I used are extremely resilient to chemicals, heat & UV.

Use a 2.0mm flathead screwdriver tool to carefully & safely open up the gap. Twist and close once alignment toothpick is inserted. Use Purell Gel hand sanitzer for sticky to keep washers in place.

Last edited:
I just replaced mine with the tight fit washers, and yes they were a PITA. Glad I saw the post here and used a thread and needle to position them on the earstem. You MUST wedge the orbital open with a small screwdriver and the earstem and washers will barely slide in place. Used a tapestry needle to align the holes....... toothpick broke in the hole and that didn't work.
The washers are a hard plastic or silicone type. Look durable. Nice smooth hinge movement.

You may be able to get away with them on plasma and polished (NOT polished carbon) but I would not want to put them on any other as you may wear the finish. Personally I would keep to the tried and tested washers.

Replaced a set of mine with M2 sized brass washers and it works perfectly. I still have some OEM washers, but wanted to try it out. :D

Brass and bronze are softer metals so the titanium should be fine. Most folding knives use this kind of washers and they have to take considerably more wear than sunglasses..

Back