• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Announcing the Oakley Database!

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
Know there have been a few threads about this over the last few weeks and despite blowing practically every deadline I set for myself (sorry gents, but I wanted it to be done right), it is now here - The Oakley Database!

The database will be a comprehensive listing of Oakley items, including SKU, Price, Release/Retire date and pictures.

Currently I have completed the Glasses section (obviously the largest), and in the coming weeks will be opening the remaining areas (i.e Apparel, Watches etc.). Before I get into the functionality, I'll say this:

While all the "data" is uploaded and structured for the Glasses section, images are not - These cannot be bulk imported for obvious reasons and instead need to be done one by one. We'll be looking for moderators/users to assist in adding these images, so if you're interested in being a mod for the Database, send me a PM.

Now what does it do? Main features below:

1. Structured Data - The data is structured in a several tiered hierarchy, as you come to the homepage: https://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-database/, you'll see the top level (currently only "Glasses"). From there you can dive into the other sub-categories
    1. Where data is missing, you simply won't see the field, i.e Price will disappear if no price is set.
  2. Widgets - There are several addition widgets which feature recent adds, top rated, popular by views etc.
  3. Create Item - At the lowest level you'll see a "Create Item" button which allows a new colorway/item to be added, it is fairly straight forward, and ALL new items will be moved to a moderation queue for review before being approved/added. This is to ensure top quality data/anti-spam
  4. Easy Bulk View - Within an item group (i.e X-Squareds), you'll be able to view all the data right there for each of the items, plus a thumbnail of an image (where they have been uploaded
  5. Review Items - Clicking into an item by clicking the title allows you to view the details, plus the image associated in addition to social media sharing AND the ability to rate an item on a scale of 1-5 stars. Simply point, click and rate.
    1. Currently comments can not be made on an item page - debated back on forth on this and still open to discuss - main thought was that this is a forum and discussions should stay on the forum - also have seen enough absue with profile posts, can only imagine the wild west comments would become on these pages.

I'll let you guys do some discovering and find all the other nooks and crannies. Looking forward to loading in the rest of the data and getting this going. As always love to hear feedback, comments etc.

Thanks. For the items you've already loaded, what was your data source(s), if I may ask?

A few members on here provided databases they already had, I did some merging/cleaning to get the most out of it. I'm sure theres items missing still, but it's a start.

As always this community is awesome!

The data source is obviously the O Review circa 2012 or 2013, down to how certain models were categorized and scraped from Wayback Machine most likely. It is good that the info and work can live on here. Looking forward to seeing what the Oakley Forum can do with its version of a database and what improvements can be made to the functionality.

The data source is obviously the O Review circa 2012 or 2013, down to how certain models were categorized and scraped from Wayback Machine most likely. It is good that the info and work can live on here. Looking forward to seeing what the Oakley Forum can do with its version of a database and what improvements can be made to the functionality.

Agreed - Sounded like some of the users who provided it had offline downloads or something similar, but they must have been maintaining them as well bc there are 2017 pairs in here as well. Definitely had discrepancies across the multiple databases, tried to get the most data as possible from all of them.

Know there have been a few threads about this over the last few weeks and despite blowing practically every deadline I set for myself (sorry gents, but I wanted it to be done right), it is now here - The Oakley Database!

The database will be a comprehensive listing of Oakley items, including SKU, Price, Release/Retire date and pictures.

Currently I have completed the Glasses section (obviously the largest), and in the coming weeks will be opening the remaining areas (i.e Apparel, Watches etc.). Before I get into the functionality, I'll say this:

While all the "data" is uploaded and structured for the Glasses section, images are not - These cannot be bulk imported for obvious reasons and instead need to be done one by one. We'll be looking for moderators/users to assist in adding these images, so if you're interested in being a mod for the Database, send me a PM.

Now what does it do? Main features below:

1. Structured Data - The data is structured in a several tiered hierarchy, as you come to the homepage: Oakley Database | Oakley Forum , you'll see the top level (currently only "Glasses"). From there you can dive into the other sub-categories
    1. Where data is missing, you simply won't see the field, i.e Price will disappear if no price is set.
  2. Widgets - There are several addition widgets which feature recent adds, top rated, popular by views etc.
  3. Create Item - At the lowest level you'll see a "Create Item" button which allows a new colorway/item to be added, it is fairly straight forward, and ALL new items will be moved to a moderation queue for review before being approved/added. This is to ensure top quality data/anti-spam
  4. Easy Bulk View - Within an item group (i.e X-Squareds), you'll be able to view all the data right there for each of the items, plus a thumbnail of an image (where they have been uploaded
  5. Review Items - Clicking into an item by clicking the title allows you to view the details, plus the image associated in addition to social media sharing AND the ability to rate an item on a scale of 1-5 stars. Simply point, click and rate.
    1. Currently comments can not be made on an item page - debated back on forth on this and still open to discuss - main thought was that this is a forum and discussions should stay on the forum - also have seen enough absue with profile posts, can only imagine the wild west comments would become on these pages.

I'll let you guys do some discovering and find all the other nooks and crannies. Looking forward to loading in the rest of the data and getting this going. As always love to hear feedback, comments etc.
:party:

This is gonna be interesting:)

Back