• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Sneakerheads In The House?

I wanted to get these awhile back
Online-Sale-Air-Jordan-11-Retro-University-Blue-White-For-Mens.jpg

No lie, I do love me a good pair of Chuck Taylor... I was dismayed when I saw the Chuck 2 releases last year and there were no leather variants. :mad:

This year, Converse got the leather on them!!!!!!!! Not keen on the price (~$100), but it is what it is.
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/c...gh-top-unisex-shoe/pid-11215899/pgid-11593217
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/c...gh-top-unisex-shoe/pid-11587766/pgid-11783272

I got an email from John Varvatos tonight that got me to start looking around... I fell for JV Chucks when I scooped up a pair at a deep discount years ago. It was a brick red leather pair (I also found a blackish pair also). They were so comfortable I wore them into the ground. And then I see these beasts:
View attachment 291949

OMGOSH... but that price is such a killer $150.

That's Foam money down the drain.

Return the Kobe 10 'pain' and grabbed chuck....
View attachment 292199

Nice. Always thought those looked sick. Held off because the shank (which also looks freakin cool) runs really low, so I wouldn't wear it much. It's the same case to why I never wear my LeBron 11's. I'd just get so worked up because a small pebble on the ground could ruin them.

*not to make one of those lame premature posts (as in, don't have them in hand), but put in an order for the Brandblack Rare Metal because it was eligible for discount off the bat. Put it <$100 before tax.

20160910-img_6414.jpg

Brandblack Debuts 'Rare Metals' Silhouette

I wear my Force Vector every day since black+leather = lol casual. The midsole/outsole tooling covers all bases ridiculously well if I suddenly find myself on-court. Even though they're designated as the daily beater, they are a go-to on so many occasions. Functionally it's hard to say I have a better all-around shoe at the moment.

Where it's been going south for me is the lacing system that pretty much runs "under" the upper, and then the paper thin tongue. Just a recipe for pinching even if I'm not going tight. Could work for a pick-up game but not 12 hours straight.

Rare Metals are more traditional with their lacing, but they also tie way high at the front despite being a low cut. Shank is more concealed and the cushion is an attempted upgrade with less volume but higher rubber content. So basically I'm hoping these literally keep the upside of the Force Vector (if not a bit improved) with a much better upper setup.

Last edited:
Rare Metal landed at my door. Very positive impressions off the bat. Low cut/high lace row combo really does its job in pretty much letting you run tighter with more distributed pressure.

Literally took everything good with the JC2/Force Vector (which was most everything) and made it better. There's a lot of functional attention to detail (wall-post worth). Got away with the thin tongue I hated before since they abandoned the quick lace row. Fuse layer at the toe needs a bit of breaking in as well even if the upper is jacquard for the most part.Jetlon as a cushion is way up there for me, It's a tad firmer in this pair because they tried to make it run lower. This pair not necessarily the best at anything, but seems it would be very good at everything based on my current experience with the brand. It's just so proper.

Would expect it to be a better all-rounder than my Kobe 11 (EM) imo. Doesn't feel as cheap as that version (or at all really), yet costs $50 less at retail. I assume the closest comparison on the market would be the Lillard 2. Same cut, upper materials, and price point. Ironically shares a similar midsole pattern as well. I tried the Lillard on for a second (ugly colorway I couldn't buy), and one thing I could make out was that the cushion was more substantial.

Went half size down because I figure the material would stretch over time. Other side note is there's no dust bag provided like with the JC2/3/FV. Guess that helped pricepoint on top of no longer having to pay for Jamal Crawford's naming rights.

20161112_111434.jpg

20161112_112302.jpg

20161112_112541.jpg

20161112_111610.jpg 20161112_112315.jpg

Latest Posts

Back