• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best pairs to leave in the car?

Pretty sure all the X-metals should hold up ok (but rubbers and lenses will deteriorate faster). At least the frame won't degenerate. Before I started collecting, I used to leave my Juliets in the glovebox. In about 5 years of hot Australian summers, I had no problem at all, except that they were very warm when putting on. Lenses seemed to be fine and didn't delaminate.

Then I started using a less valuable pair of jawbones (the o-matter frames didn't get as hot) and again, I had no problems at all over 7 years.

In the countryside where I worked, temperatures could get up to over 70 degrees Celsius (158 degrees F) inside cars for 2 months of the year.

To work out how hot it gets inside your car for your conditions ->

I don't understand why $150+ Oakley's need to be babied like this (at least according to some, I haven't had them long enough to know personally) but I've had $20-70 sunglasses last for 7-10+ years without ever not being stored in the car, from -20° to over 100°. I mean, they are sunglasses! Using them for driving must be one of their most common uses.

I wouldn't recommend leaving any kind of sunglasses inside a hot vehicle. But I guess I can't lie. I do. I have my M2 frames, inside it's case, inside of a box, that's inside the center console of my work van. It's my safety glasses slash back-up pair.

I don't understand why $150+ Oakley's need to be babied like this (at least according to some, I haven't had them long enough to know personally) but I've had $20-70 sunglasses last for 7-10+ years without ever not being stored in the car, from -20° to over 100°. I mean, they are sunglasses! Using them for driving must be one of their most common uses.
This is true. Your faulty assumption is that actually, collectors DO treat our Oakleys like babies!!!! 😂😂😂

I leave a beat up pair of HiJinx with messed up lenses in the truck all the time for a just in case pair. Otherwise I have too much respect for my Oakleys to leave them in a hot car all the time.

Half Jacket 2.0 with 24K RX lenses.
For 2 years with no issues.
But we don't have hot summers.
Max. temp. 90-95°F

Back