1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Zeke

Zeke - The Retarded Battle Continues ... Premium Member

Anyone ever have the adhesive come apart on an older hard case? This is my Science case, ... somewhat hard to replace, or I'd just replace it if it was a simple colored one, or the like.

What might be the best stuff to use to re-adhere w/out suggested stuff bleeding thru to the front? (The white inside it all but mint ...)

My first thoughts were to lightly, & carefully, sand the top, metal surface & use either some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, or possibly some yellow, not black, weather-stripping cement ... then set some weight on it for a good period of time.

Eh?

Thank you, kind folks ... - "Broken" Hard Case Question ... - received_10207291247058980.jpeg - "Broken" Hard Case Question ... - received_10207291244818924.jpeg - "Broken" Hard Case Question ... - received_10207291245218934.jpeg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

I would think @dr.chop may have some experience with something like that.

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  3. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

contact cement...I prefer Barge Contact cement, but any should be find..plus, it's rubbery, so it won't get brittle and crack loose. Or E6000 works well too, but takes longer to cure. Contact cement you just apply a light coat to the contact areas you want stuck (both sides) give it 10 min and stick em together...holds very strong

Batman_1939 and motoGP_fanatic like this.
  4. Zeke

Fair enough, @dr.chop , & thank you very much. I am thrilled I can save this case with some confidence.

Also, much appreciated for the heads-up to Chop, @OakleyFrankFMJ ...

5. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

no sweat man, glad to help...

6. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

As soon as I saw this thread I checked my case similar to this and this happened as well. It's now back in shape after repairing it with contact cement as suggested. Thanks guys! :drinks:

Zeke likes this.
  7. Zeke

How, if at all, would I want to "prep" either surface for some contact cement. Just picked up some DAP Weldwood CC hereally at Home Depot ... Any light scuffing needed, or just do the job & be done with it?

8. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

I know I am a bit late to reply, but I wouldn't suggest a scuffing really on that one. maybe a wipe with denatured alcohol, but that's about it really

Zeke likes this.
  9. Zeke

A response is a response as far as I am concerned ... especially when it is a definitely educated one.

10. Oakleycollecter11

Oakleycollecter11 Oakley Beginner

happened to me just super glue it because that's what did and it worked fine