• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can E Wire 2.1 Frames Be Tightened Up?

Ryan_C

Oakley Expert
IN
I picked up some (05-656) E Wire 2.1 circa 2002. The ear stems are spring loaded, but they are loose until the ear stems are extended out when you are ready to put them on. Is there any fix to this? I took a precision screw driver to the screws to see if they were loose, and they are not. Seems like there is something missing to make them have the spring feeling when closing or opening.

Does Oakley still have any replacement parts for this frame? If they do, what would they charge to totally refurbish these? The lenses are pretty messed up too.

Thanks

I have a Square Wire 2.0 and when you open the arms it opens to a normal position but if you pull the arms further outwards it rotates past that position a little bit more. When you let go it goes back to the initial open position. I loved the concept when I first got them but I had a couple of them which broke and one was my expensive O2 RX one so I kinda don't like the spring hinges anymore. Oakley did fix my Square Wire for free when it was years out of warranty though.

Hope that was the answer you were looking for.

The Square Wire 2.0 hinge is different from the E Wire 2.1. I have one and will take a look tonight. I'm not sure if it can be tighten or not.

I have a Square Wire 2.0 and when you open the arms it opens to a normal position but if you pull the arms further outwards it rotates past that position a little bit more. When you let go it goes back to the initial open position. I loved the concept when I first got them but I had a couple of them which broke and one was my expensive O2 RX one so I kinda don't like the spring hinges anymore. Oakley did fix my Square Wire for free when it was years out of warranty though.

Yeah, the best kept secret about the square wire 2.0 and a-wire 1.0/2.0 is that the non-spring hinge versions are superior in fit and durability. Spring hinges seem to sell for more though.....

Ok, it looks like no. It sounds like the spring is worn out. You could try Oakley Customer Service, the E Wire 2.1 had a Rx version so they might still have some parts, either way it never hurts to ask. Good luck!

So I ended up calling Oakley Customer Service, and they were very quick to tell me that since this frame was discontinued back in '03 or '05 that there was no chance they had any extra parts whatsoever. And when I asked about the Rx frame, the same response.

I wished they would have at least put me on hold for 5 minutes to actually look. They also said if I was to send them in, all they would do is send them back and I would be out shipping charges. Quite a bummer.

Back