• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance?

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. However, I've been hesitant to do this on polarized lenses. Non-polars still have the base tint actually in the polycarbonate but for a while now with polars they've been applying the base tint as a layer over a clear polarized blank. I'm concerned the iridium removal process will also remove or damage the base tint layer and invalidate the results.

Shoot me a PM if you change your mind and I'll dig them up.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. However, I've been hesitant to do this on polarized lenses. Non-polars still have the base tint actually in the polycarbonate but for a while now with polars they've been applying the base tint as a layer over a clear polarized blank. I'm concerned the iridium removal process will also remove or damage the base tint layer and invalidate the results.
Only one way to find out.

Remember seeing this the first time around, but forgot to bookmark it. I am glad it popped up again and reminded me of the great experiment you did @kronin323 and thanks to all you donors of lenses.

Someone don't like you. ;)

I'm sure plenty fall into that category, but more likely the sticky section was getting too cluttered and "someone" cleaned it up, which is fair enough.

Though the current choices for stickys seems kinda backwards - I mean, threads like the selfie thread, fakes thread, and value thread get enough constant activity that they're continually bumped, always at the top or at least on the first page. They never fade away into obscurity, no need to sticky them. It's threads with interesting yet rarely-repeated information but don't keep getting bumped that need to be stickied so they're not lost, which is why Boss stickied it in the first place.

I'm planning of getting dark bronze lens for driving. However it doesn't have iridium coating. What would be its impact in terms of sunlight and glare protection?

I'm planning of getting dark bronze lens for driving. However it doesn't have iridium coating. What would be its impact in terms of sunlight and glare protection?

Minimal. Dark bronze is 12% trans. That's pretty low, there's plenty of iridium coated lenses with a higher trans than that. Iridium is marketed as having anti-glare properties, but in practice it seems the main purpose it serves is to hide the eyes and look cool.

Thanks @kronin323 for all your hard work. And thanks to @Chris A Hardaway for his great comment! Maybe @SiRacer420 can either send you his "experimented" on lenses that have been etched, or post some results here as well.

There were a couple of lenses I still wanted to perform this experiment on, namely chrome and sapphire, and I once had a WTB in the exchange soliciting used lenses for this experiment. But I let it fade and then y'all started promoting used lenses for SiRacer's etching and that was fine, the lenses with the biggest questions around them had already been answered here.

Back